Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M31 Kokoknuss Tropical Canteen questions

Article about: Hello all… A question for the many experienced collectors here: I have been looking to buy a German ww2 M31 tropical “kokoknuss” canteen available through online auction from various s

Default M31 Kokoknuss Tropical Canteen questions

Hello all…

A question for the many experienced collectors here:

I have been looking to buy a German ww2 M31 tropical “kokoknuss” canteen available through online auction from various sources such as EBay, etc.

One thing I’ve noticed is that some of the wood-coated canteen bodies look quite aged and weathered with knicks, fading, scratches, etc, whereas the condition of the canvas “straps” that envelope the canteen are cleaner and far more pristine. Why is this? Are these likely later retrofits?

My first impression is that they don’t belong together.
    To the unexperienced eye, it looks like the canteen and straps are not mated faithfully and that the strap’s cleaner condition is not in keeping with the beat-up condition of the canteen body.

Or, do the canvas straps wear differently?

It is hard for me to judge if the straps are original.
    I know there are numerous variables to consider, but shouldn’t the straps match the canteen?
    If the canteen is beat-up, shouldn’t the straps be as well?

The Bakelite (or other material) cup is yet another factor to consider. I realize the cup could have been swapped from various canteens consistently over the last several decades.
    And… there are many VERY accurate canteen cup reproductions available online. Hard to say which is real or not these days.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

- Joe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 Kokoknuss Tropical Canteen questions
    P
    Many

Hello Joe

First of all , it is not necessarily a tropical canteen…. These canteens were found in Russia as well…. The producer is HRE (Heinrich Ritter Esslingen) and they were produced from 42 until 45.
    You are correct in that the wear should be consistent !
    Furthermore , these are most of the time offered with bakelite small cups, but they were produced with metal cups just like the normal canteens. (of course also HRE stamped)
    It is difficult to find them in original configuration, so you can assume that most of the ones offered on ebay are put together.
    If you want a 100% original one it is best to look ar dealers, but of course you will have to pay the price.

And, watch out for the postwar Alfurit marked canteens ! They were used by the BGS (Bundes Grenz Schutz)
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M31 Kokoknuss Tropical Canteen questions  

Hello,

Tom has already given you a great write up so not too much left to say. I personally have no problems with eBay in fact I got one of my “coconut canteens” off there for a good price but like said you just have to be careful of everything. Always feel free to post an example your not sure of or have questions on so we can give it a look over. I would also like to note we can see these types of canteens produced in 1941.

Regards,
    Bodhi

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    You are correct in that the wear should be consistent !
    Hello.
    I would even go as far as to say that most of the time the webbing straps are not aging as well as the canteen itself. A well preserved canteen can be found with ruined straps, but a worn out canteen with fresher straps isn't what you should expect.