Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M38 Gas Mask - Kriegsmarine???

Article about: My Dad bought this for me in the 70's when I was a little kid. Years later I was told (a number of times) that these masks/Kanisters were re-painted "tan" to be sold to the Egyptia

MAP
    ?

Default M38 Gas Mask - Kriegsmarine???

My Dad bought this for me in the 70's when I was a little kid. Years later I was told (a number of times) that these masks/Kanisters were re-painted "tan" to be sold to the Egyptians (or some other country) post war. And the grey paint? That too was added post war by who knows who.....So the whole get up was messed with. Having never seen another like it I believed this story. I didn't really care one way or the other. But still loved it because it was from my Dad.

So it sat on my shelf supporting a helmet for the last 15 years or so.

But in perusing Ratisbons auction today, I saw the EXACT same M38 Gas Mask and Kanister.

Here is their description.

Extremely rare 1941/42 dated tropical Wehrmacht gas mask with can issued to Afrikakorps troops.
    The can comes with full original khaki paint which was however period time overpainted with grey color for camo reason. The grey color is typical for being Kriegsmarine. The grey color goes off easily with your finger nail.
    (as noted above...it is exactly the same as mine, right down to the grey paint chipping off.)

Here is the link to Ratisbons -> https://www.ratisbons.com/18th-Conte...-mask-can.html

So...what do we have here? Story A (Post war surplus) or Story B (DAK with KM overpaint)???

The grey paint on mine is very old and I've had this from the 70's. Even then it looked old. But it could easily have been painted in the 50's.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Here is mine: (double click to enlarge).

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Gas Mask - Kriegsmarine???
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

And here is the one from Ratisbons

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well, story B is nonsense..... most of these masks are dated later war, so DAK : no way

The story of these tan masks is still a riddle..... i also heared the egyptian story, but also that they were dutch civilian defense (60's).....

They are original german masks, but the paint? Who can tell for sure.......

Tom

I have one too. Bought in the same timeframe of the late 1970's.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Thank you gentleman very much. I was hoping you both would see this.

So the mystery remains. Which is fine with me!!! I will say one thing. These are not "one off" given that there are others out there That are exactly the same. So there must be a reason.

Tom: just to be sure. Are you questioning both the tan and grey? Don't care either way. I just want to be sure I understand your views completely.

Ade: I guess this is maybe due to these being sold at the same time due to some type of surplus sale....who knows. But good to know you have one as well

Thanks again gentleman

Michael