Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M44 Late War Assault Pack with Zeltbahn

Article about: Hope all had a good weekend. Took some updated photos of my Zelt with the M44 Assault Pack. In 1944 they replaced the the A-frame & Bag system. Modified Artillery rucksacks. This one is

Hello,
    Nice and unissued assault pack, congrats. I can't believe i haven't seen this thread before today. The photo shown by Tom depicts men from one of the Infanterieregimenter of the 84. Infanteriedivision arriving in Normandie in June 1944 (for many years everyone believed that they belonged to the 2. Panzerdivision). The last man on the photo is indeed carrying this assault pack. If i memory does not trick me, there are only two assault packs of this type on all known photos that show this arrival in Normandie. Some other photos shows A-frames still carried in June 44. I remember one photo that shows several men photographed from the back, they almost all have A-frames.
    One thing, the two visible eyelets with a string on the Zeltbahn had to be hidden on the assault pack 39. It's the same thing for the type 44 i presume. And it's much nicer if i'm asked...same for the white ropes...

Below is an example of the Gefechtsgepäck 44 backpack that was picked out of a pile of captured german pieces of equipment in August 1944 in Paris. It has never been in a collection before mine. It is slightly used, the condition is still great and it was found this way, with two breadbag straps used as carrying straps. I still have it and never removed the straps even if i needed a late war one for a breadbag. The soldier who carried this "assault pack" was either a Grenadier without Y-straps or a soldier from another branch who managed to get this example and used it as a normal backpack. The second option is more believable in my opinion.
    Thanks

M44 Late War Assault Pack with Zeltbahn

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M44 Late War Assault Pack with Zeltbahn
    P
    Many

?

Great purchase Dan,
    This seller has some interesting items.
    I missed out on what I think was a stirrup strap for the Armeesattel 25 because I was too cheap on my bid.
    It was this thread from Rossi that inspired me to pick up an assault pack so it is great to see yours here also.
    What I found really interesting on your purchase was that the seams are sewn from the outside of the pack and there are no fittings for the Y Straps at the bottom of the pack.
    What it does have is a lot of ink stamping!
    Too much for an RbNr?
    I am looking forward to your photos and impressions of this piece.
    Thanks again to Rossi for his fine rucksack and assault pack posts.

Thanks Andrew, yeah the absent lower hooks had me hesitating for a while but in the end I bit. I missed seeing the ' bag style' stitching so thats an interesting feature I think.
    Maybe the date will be 1945 and its a last ditch version for Y suspenders without the auxillary straps???
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Thanks Andrew, yeah the absent lower hooks had me hesitating for a while but in the end I bit. I missed seeing the ' bag style' stitching so thats an interesting feature I think.
    Maybe the date will be 1945 and its a last ditch version for Y suspenders without the auxillary straps???

Hello,
    From what i can see on the photo, it's 1944 dated but don't quote me on this i need new glasses...
    To the best of my knowledge, there were no last ditch assault pack 44 and Y-straps without auxiliary straps.
    In my opinion it has been saboted, both D-rings were removed (or they simply forgot to add them at the factory...)
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks JP, I will examine closer when it arrives and start a new thread....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2