Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My "new" German Signal Radio (Fernmeldetornister) Tornister, Sachs & Deisselberg, 1940

Article about: Hello, I'm new to this forum but it seems like a very knowledgeable site so I wanted to join. I had picked up a MG34.. then the different ammo cans, drums, AA, lafette, gunner's pouch etc..

Ryo
    ?

Default My "new" German Signal Radio (Fernmeldetornister) Tornister, Sachs & Deisselberg, 1940

Hello, I'm new to this forum but it seems like a very knowledgeable site so I wanted to join. I had picked up a MG34.. then the different ammo cans, drums, AA, lafette, gunner's pouch etc.. and now I'm jumped to tornisters.. Starting to be an addictive collecting hobby!

What I wanted to share and possible get more information about is my newly acquired Signal Radio (Communication) Tornister. From the marking, it was made by Sachs & Deisselberg in 1940.
    It looks authentic, and remarkably none of the leather straps feel stiff.

Things I know about it was that it carried tools for communications. Some packs came with a number ranging form 1 to 3. I'm not sure why they stopped. From this photo, it seemed like this pack could be considered #1.

My "new" German Signal Radio (Fernmeldetornister) Tornister, Sachs & Deisselberg, 1940
    Image was taken from: Fernmeldetornister - der-Fernmelder.de
    That is a great site for photos of what goes in this pack!

Questions I have are:
    1. Does it look like all the parts are there. Note I know there is a missing insert separator that the held the reels, fork, remote handset, etc.
    2. If I use leather conditioners on it, remove any rust, internal stains etc.. does that take away from the value to hard core collectors? I wouldn't think so, but just curious.
    3. If I do condition the leather, what would be recommended? I saw some people use Mink Oil, others use Ko Cao Line.
    4. What can I use to condition the horse, cow or pony hair? (I'm assuming it's horse hair, but not sure) One YouTube video mention using egg whites and lots of olive oil.
    5. How to remove the internal stains without damaging the material?
    6. How are the straps attached to the base of the tornister. I assume it is using the hooks with the strap loops.. but any time you put the backpack down, the straps will pop off..

(Really sorry.. I have no idea how to get some of the photos right side up)

(Has the owner's name, I can't fully make out) (Has WaffenAmt mark, can't make out what's underneath)

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My "new" German Signal Radio (Fernmeldetornister) Tornister, Sachs & Deisselberg, 1940  
    Last edited by Ryo; 10-24-2020 at 07:25 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My "new" German Signal Radio (Fernmeldetornister) Tornister, Sachs & Deisselberg, 1940
    P
    Many

Ryo
    ?

Ugh.. Just noticed that the inner upper flap is missing a leather pouch. Looks like mine was cut out for some reason.. probably due to condition, but that is surprising since all the leather seems like it is in good condition.

I can't help other than showing my no.3 gutted with a replacement strap as a comparison

Ryo
    ?

Thanks.. I see the missing leather pouch from my set in your last photo. I was hoping mine had everything.. but oh well. Not much I can do there. The tornister does seem pretty good otherwise.

Well hopefully someone can answer my other questions.

Ryo
    ?

I wonder how many other of these tornisters have had the leather pouch removed. I just saw another post/photo that had the pouch removed.

What have you guys been doing to clean the horse/pony/cow hair?
    What is recommended to clean the stains in side the pack without damaging anything?
    How did the German keep the backpack straps hooked on the loop at the bottom? Anytime you remove the pack those things disconnect the straps.

Never ever cleaned my fur packs, from what I remember (haven't played with these for a very very long time) they connect to the Y strap's/pack strap's secondary straps and rely on tension.

This is a Tornister for the small telephone squad. They had three numbered packs. There were shelf units inside and a leather pouch to hold the equipment. Commonly, these were gutted to make them useful as civilian back packs. The cover flap is cow hide and NOT pony fur. I am not sure why there were packs without numbers. It was either an economy move or the numbers were removed post war. I have photos of my packs if you care to see them. Neil

Hey Neil if any one? I'd like to see!

OK. But I will post tomorrow - it is almost 1 am here! I will post photos of an empty pack and full one. The one listed here has been heavily cut up. It is a typical post war modification. Neil

Nice items !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast