Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane

Article about: Hi guys, Just aqquired this salty item for a display in an upcoming exhibition. It´s a classic M31 splitter camouflage tentplane with the colors still very nicely preserved. The piece is bi

Jan
    ?

Default Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane

Hi guys,

Just aquired this salty item for a display in an upcoming exhibition.

It´s a classic M31 splitter camouflage tentplane with the colors still very nicely preserved. The piece is bit dirty and with some signs of wear. It´s marked L.B.A.B. 38 (for the Luftwaffe)

Everybody needs a Zeltplane

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane   Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane  

Last edited by Jan; 11-17-2020 at 08:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Does anyone know if these buttons were used in uniforms as well as tentplanes.

I´m going to start a separate thread on buttons found during the archaeological excavations of a German transition camp in Hanko Finland that might be of interest to many of you on this forum.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane  

CSW
    ?

Yes, they were indeed also used in trousers, breadbags, A-frame bags and the like.

Jan
    ?

Thanks Nordlicht. I will start the button thread in a couple of weeks.

Best, Jan

I like this level of mild damage / wear.

I can well imagine the embers falling from the fires the artillery and bombing burning holes in material like this that then frays and wears bigger holes - to me it really conveys the horror of war in a way we will NEVER understand ........ thankfully.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Jan
    ?

Hi guys,

I finally got the Zeltplane in the mail.

It is even better than I anticipated showing a lot of wear, damage, tears, burn marks and dirt and grid all over. The buttons are all aluminium so I expect it to be an early war piece. There is a stamp which I will take a photo of tomorrow in daylight.

The item is very dirty. At first I thought about giving it a shower but I think I will consult museum expert first. I will post a few photos of the accumulated clay grid and other signs of heavy wear tomorrow.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane  

Hello,
    In theory, three hole buttons are for equipment only, clothing had four hole buttons...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Jan
    ?

Good morning, here are a few more detailed photos of the "Splittertarn Zeltplane". I kept it outside in -15 degrees Celsius to make sure no unwelcome visitors came with it.

I also photographed the faint stamp and was wondering if it could be for Luftwaffe? All help welcome!

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane   Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane  

Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane   Salty M31 Splittertarn Zeltplane  

Hello,
    Yes it is a Luftwaffe example : L.B.A. B 38
    Thanks

Below is one of my examples

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

I like these items.