Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Scarce Mixed Beige Bakelite Cup

Article about: Hello, it’s been a little while since I posted I’ve not had much money for collecting as of recently. However I got this a little while back and just got around to taking some nice pictu

Default Scarce Mixed Beige Bakelite Cup

Hello, it’s been a little while since I posted I’ve not had much money for collecting as of recently. However I got this a little while back and just got around to taking some nice pictures. It is quite a rare version of the Bakelite cups and a very interesting one to look at with the speckles of orange, green and black all mixed in. Unfortunately there has been a rise of interest in these rare cups so the prices have became pretty painful however it’s definitely one of my favourite areas of canteen collecting.

Hope you all appreciate it as much as me!
    Bodhi

A little note is the color is slightly lighter in person.

Scarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite CupScarce Mixed Beige Bakelite Cup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scarce Mixed Beige Bakelite Cup
    P
    Many

Interesting piece. Am I right in thinking that these are late war "economy" items in which the Bakelite material contains all kinds of "filler" from sawdust to brick dust?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes sir that is what my understanding of these cups is. I believe they are seen usually from mid war to late war and their unusual colors and mixes come from different filler materials. I can try and get you a more in depth answer when I get home later today.

Found a couple examples of fillers, seems asbestos is common, sawdust, textile fiber, cement with asbestos, lead borate with mica, and cellulose are some examples of fillers I’m sure there are more this is what I found in Giancarlo’s book.

The regular cups I believe started production in 1940 I can’t say for sure when we start seeing these unusual mixtures but I am aware of a green cup dated 1942.
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 11-29-2022 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added information

MAP
    ?

Nice! and great photos!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you! I was quite happy with that last picture.

Hello,
    Nice find, a scarce item for sure and what to say about the family reunited on the last photograph, simply beautiful, congrats.
    A list of fillers used in WWII german bakelite is available, i do have it but can't remember where it is...if my memory does not let me down, i think that a component used for one of the several types of bakelites was urine.

I had the opportunity only once to get an orange cup, the guy had three for sale, but the price asked made me buy a mint MG 34/42 pouch in pressed cardboard instead. As far as bakelite is concerned, there are some very very rare items, including cups of course, that are still around, that are waiting to be found. Same for pressed cardboard. These two materials do have some kind of mythical aura with collectors of german armed forces equipment. This mythical aura has roots in items that really existed, that were produced sometimes seldomly, but that are not to be found in collections, except for a couple of collectors who "had a pact with the devil of course", like for a bakelite Heer buckle, a second type carrier in yellow pressed cardboard for the folding shovel or some prototypes or small production of bakelite cups patterned after older designs..etc...

Next step is a green example, right ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you JP always enjoy hearing from you! As for the next one Green is definitely on the need list I would really like to add it to the collection but I suppose it all depends on what shows itself first! I just today bought a canteen I’ve been after for a long time, it’s a 1928 dated M25 (the political style canteens) of course because of the pre 1931 date we can assume it was used by the reichswehr. And the best part is it cost me less than 50€.

As for the list I will have to try and find it, I believe Giancarlos book has a list but I can not quite remember.

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    Nice find, a scarce item for sure and what to say about the family reunited on the last photograph, simply beautiful, congrats.
    A list of fillers used in WWII german bakelite is available, i do have it but can't remember where it is...if my memory does not let me down, i think that a component used for one of the several types of bakelites was urine.
    Yum, ideal for a drinking cup!

If my high school chemistry hasn't totally failed me I think that would be for the chemical properties of Urea. Something to do with Ammonia and plastic resins I think?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Interesting piece. Am I right in thinking that these are late war "economy" items in which the Bakelite material contains all kinds of "filler" from sawdust to brick dust?

Regards

Mark
    It appears to be an F7 produced one, I don't think the maker has been identified as yet.