Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Coffee

Article about: Hello, I just purchased a world war 2 German SS coffee bag. I was unable to find any information about it on google, I was wondering if anyone here knew any information about it (history, wh

Dillon
    ?

Question SS Coffee

Hello, I just purchased a world war 2 German SS coffee bag. I was unable to find any information about it on google, I was wondering if anyone here knew any information about it (history, where it was used, etc.)

Thanks for any information!

Here are pictures of it:

http://www.halescomputerservice.com/...offeebag/1.JPG

http://www.halescomputerservice.com/...offeebag/2.JPG

http://www.halescomputerservice.com/...offeebag/3.JPG

http://www.halescomputerservice.com/...offeebag/4.JPG

Thanks,Dillon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Coffee   SS Coffee  

SS Coffee   SS Coffee  

2. # ADS

Default Re: SS Coffee

Hi Dillon, welcome to the forum!

Your pics are not showing up.

Please try and upload them direct to the forum. Please see "FAQ" at top right of the page for instructional help.

Cheers, Ade.

Dillon
    ?

Oh, ok I just fixed it, sorry about that!

-Dillon

Hi Dillon, I cannot say I have seen one like it before. But I am VERY wary of anything marked "SS Packung". These things usually turn out to be fantasy products.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Never seen one before or even heard of them !! As Ade says you have got to be very sceptical about this piece
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I cannot figure why they would mark coffee with an SS marking??
    Apart from badges, insignia and clothing that was marked with SS markings, where there other items marked this way as well, such as consumables?
    Tom

Hi Tom, the simple truth is anything marked "SS" will sell to collectors.

There have been a whole series of fake/fantasy personal items marked "SS Packung". These include various type of frostbite salves in either embossed red circular tins or in silver metal foil tubes, or waxed paper wrapped soaps or shaving soap sticks, etc. These all originated in Czechoslovakia in 2000 and many thought they were original at first. But since then they have been discovered to be fakes.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. I figured this was probably fake, but cannot figure why the people manufacturing these items would do so if the Germans never did this during the war. Surely they must realize that someone would twig to the truth. I suppose, though, there are enough people who, without doing any research, would believe these to be genuine items. The sad truth is that people will continue getting caught by all the rubbish out there if they do not put in the effort beforehand.
    Tom

Hi Tom, this is very true.

I think many people can get a false sence of security when buying small personal items like these. Many just don't realise that these items are now faked as much as anything else in the Third Reich collecting world.

Some of these are marketed at the re-enactor for pack and pocket fillers. But many are sold as original.

I can tell you a funny story. I had a lot of personal items in my possesion a few weeks ago which belonged to a friend who wished to sell them. I showed them to a few mates, who are German re-enactors, at our last living history show. One of whom (a forum member here who shall remain nameless ) picked out a packet of "Lice Powder" and remarked it was a fake. I was quite surprised at first, not having studied the item, as it looked "OK" at first glance. Well, he told me a friend of his made them. As he was stuck for a "makers name" for the packet, the guy who made these chose to use my friend's "German" name. He thought this was appropriate, as he said he was an irratating git, so lice podwer seemed a good choice to name after him ! It was only when I looked at the print I noticed it was done via an ink jet and not a letter press. The paper was also a bit too good a quality.

Cheers, Ade.

There was a local guy named Murray Brookes , now deceased, who worked all of our local gun shows. Murray would collect anything John Wayne. He was a John Wayne fanatic.

There's a story that another local guy, known to be a prankster, showed up at a gun club meeting with an expensive pair of designer silk skivies that had J.W. embroidered on them. He somehow convinced Murray that they had come from John Wayne's estate.

After a long negotiation between the two, Murray ended up trading a nice shotgun for the skivies. The prankster told some of the other members that if they could convince Murray that these were not really John Waynes skivies, he would give the shotgun back to Murray.

Murray kept the skivies, and the prankster kept the shotgun. People believe what they want to believe. As P.T.Barnum said...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast