Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?

Article about: Thanks.

Default Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?

Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?
    P
    Many

It's been cut down from a standard 3 pouch!...

?

Thumbs up

These were used by soldiers on guard duty rather than the 3 pocket. Don't remember ever reading why just a 2 pocket, but photos can be found.
    Sarge

Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?Strange 2 pocket K98K Ammo Pouch, what do I have?

For me this pouch resembles the type worn by the Austrian Gendarmerie in the
    early postwar years.
    These pouches are regularly offered on Military fairs here in Austria.
    I single pocket Version also exists.

Many of These pouches are stamped inside the lid with GBA 1947 which is the
    Gendarmerie acceptance stamp.

Hope this helps !

Regards

Bernhard

Thanks Bernhard, looks like you nailed it!

The only question I have now is why is it mismatched?
    One half is black on the inside while the other isn't dyed.
    The posts on the bottom are different shapes, one rounded, one pointed.
    The belt loops on the back are different thicknesses and texture, with different metal hardware.

I noticed holes from stitching and rivets, which makes me think something used to be there and was removed and replaced with the belt loop.

I searched online and found this repro German 3 pocket pouch. I have not found an original in this style, and it is a repro, but I doubt they would make a repro of nothing. The stitching and the rivets on the suspender D-ring match the holes in mine.

So it seems someone has taken the effort of making this 2 pocket pouch from a 3 pocket pouch.

I don't know for sure because I do not know how a rivet tool works, but it seems to me it would not be possible to get the tool down into the pocket to attach the new belt loop. So I think the pouch had the stitching removed and the pocket taken off to attach the belt loop. Then it was sewn back on.

If multiple pouches were modified this way at the same time, they likely would not have made the effort to keep track which pocket came from which pouch, so when they were reassembled they mixed them up, explaining the the different shaped studs at the bottom, and the different color leather. The mis match in belt loops is likely either because they were taken from two different pouches, or the one over the suspender D-ring attachment was newly manufactured when making this conversion.

But I don't know hardly anything about German or Austrian pouches, let me know what you think!

I should have done more searching before I posted!

I found this thread where Klaus1989 posted his pouches. I hope he does not mind me re-posting his pictures here.

You see both the WWII (Left) and Post-WWII West German (Right) have this style of 2 rivets and two rows of stitching exactly like mine. The number of stitch holes is even exactly the same as mine, at least on the post war ones where I can see them. Additionally the center pocket, where the suspender hanger is attached has a rounded stud, while the edge pockets have pointed studs. This is just like mine, which has a rounded stud on the pocket that was formerly the center pocket with the holes for the suspender D-ring.

My pouch is black like his post war examples, but it has no embossed makers stamp like his do. So I do not know if it is wartime or not.

Also the other belt loop, the one that is not over the holes for the suspender D-Ring, is the same style as his bottom left, but the suspended D-Ring is the same style as that on all the other ones.