Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tool for racial measurements of the skull

Article about: What do you think - is it for measuring the skull or is the purpose of this instrument different ?

Default Tool for racial measurements of the skull

What do you think - is it for measuring the skull or is the purpose of this instrument different ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tool for racial measurements of the skull   Tool for racial measurements of the skull  

Tool for racial measurements of the skull   Tool for racial measurements of the skull  

Tool for racial measurements of the skull  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tool for racial measurements of the skull
    P
    Many

?

It is a vintage craniometer. Why would "racial" skull measurements even enter into the equation?

More to the point, the ebay seller is trying to peddle this as having Wehrmacht and DRK connections.
    Stick the item on a piece of zeltbahn and we're good to go.

Buy the item, not the story mate!

Regards
    Brett

?

Hi Samland,
    Find a new interest please.

only in the German chronicle of the 30s have I seen such tools.

When this craniometer was produced - before 1945 or after ?

See the tools in the lower right corner of the image
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tool for racial measurements of the skull  

I don’t think Samland meant anything deliberately negative in his question.
    The craniometer appears to be of German or Austrian make. It was most likely for use in a hospital, etc.
    Indeed however, the Nazi goons did use such craniometers in their racial purification programs in the 30’s and 40’s. They were obsessed with things such as eye color, cranial dimensions, etc.

The period of manufacture of this craniometer is important to me. If this is the period 1933-45, then its value is very high, since after 45 these items were destroyed.

There is no proof that supports the nazis used this and I agree as well..with Johns thoughts as it being used in hospitals.
    Need more documentative proof that points to Nazis using this particular example shown above.

Take notice as well on 2 points :

The Pointer looks new ...and there is a weld repair on the left calipre end

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

These tools were used in psychiatry as well in the first half of the century. There is no reason to believe this is 3rd Reich related in my opinion. I would like to know why such a device would be high value? I have seen these things in curiosa shops sold for cheap with apothecary bottles etc.

?

They also featured prominently when phrenology was all the rage. The item in question sold for the grand sum of 1 Euro, with only 1 bid.
    I have to ask the question as to why a legitimate piece of medical equipment would be destroyed post 45, even given sometimes unsavoury use? Is there any tangible evidence of this destruction taking place, or are we dabbling in the realms of hearsay?
    Once again, buy the item, not the story!

One of these turned up in the fake Nazi horde of objects in Argentina a couple of years ago. A German expert at the time identified the craniometer as early 20th century and before the Third Reich. It was simply a common medical instrument.