Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Water canteen

Article about: Hi Forum I have 2 Water canteens, one with cup and the other without, do someone know the different producers The one with the cup is marked S.S.L 40 (I guess that 40 is the year) The one wi

Default Water canteen

Hi Forum
    I have 2 Water canteens, one with cup and the other without, do someone know the different producers

The one with the cup is marked S.S.L 40 (I guess that 40 is the year)

The one without cup is marked GNI or GNL

Regards
    John

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Water canteen   Water canteen  

Water canteen   Water canteen  

Water canteen   Water canteen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Water canteen
    P
    Many

Dav
    ?

The first example is a mid to late war M31 enameled steel example with Bakelite cap and later war lower quality leather. It is missing it's strap & cup. It's interesting to see an un-dated example, I have not seen one before and I imagine JPhilip can provide some insight into this. I am unsure what manufacturer GNL is for certain but could be Gebrüder Noelle, Lüdenscheid. Does this one have 2 poppers instead of 3? It looks like it but I can't quite make it out in the picture.

The second example is a nice condition early war example with all parts marked S.S.L standing for manufacturer Sieper & Sohne, Lüdenscheid. You are correct in that 40 is the date (1940) this being an early example it has good quality leather and all aluminium construction.

If anyone would be able to provide me with some information on where I can find out about the non secret manufacturing codes (S.S.L, HRE etc) then that'd be fantastic.

Thank you for your help and ID, let see if there are more comments or ID´s
    Regards
    John

Both honest used examples. FYI

Maker HRE stands for Heinrich Ritter, Esslingen - very common maker.
    SSL is I think for Sieper & Söhne, Lüdenscheid

I find this website quite useful for deciphering factory codes: German WWII Ordnance Codes

It hasn't been updated in a long time, but the list is fairly comprehensive. Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page, and you can search for specific codes in 'blocks'. a-b, c-e, etc.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I find this website quite useful for deciphering factory codes: German WWII Ordnance Codes

It hasn't been updated in a long time, but the list is fairly comprehensive. Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page, and you can search for specific codes in 'blocks'. a-b, c-e, etc.

Regards, B.B.
    Indeed, but the 3 letter ordnance code system is not the same as those makers who marked equipment by manufacturers initials.

Dav
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post

Regards, B.B.
    This is indeed a very good resource, however I have already purchased a copy of Michael Heidler's book on the subject- which as far as I know is the most extensive and complete list known. The manufacturer codes above are slightly different and are not part of the 3 letter system. I believe JPhilip had a spreadsheet of them, however he lost it after the hard drive died.