Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why germans never stop carrying gasmask's in combat?

Article about: Question in title. I find it were that germans carried their gasmask until the very end of the war. Why? Finns stopped preparing for gas-warfare after summer offensive 1941, and stored their

Default Why germans never stop carrying gasmask's in combat?

Question in title.
    I find it odd that germans carried their gasmask until the very end of the war. Why?

Finns stopped preparing for gas-warfare after summer offensive 1941, and stored their gasmask away from frontline troops.

Don't know about British or US but their combat gear don't show gasmask in carry.
    Russians practically lost all their gasmask's in field of combat after operation barbarossa reached almost Moscow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why germans never stop carrying gasmask's in combat?
    P
    Many

I will guess it is because Hitler had a phobia about it. His Verwundeten Abzeichen was awarded for injuries from gas in WWI if I'm not mistaken. I note that in some manuals, it is the very first piece of equipment listed. Just my theory. Neil

It's one of those things that seems daft in hindsight, but that made perfect sense at the time. There was always uncertainty and nervousness about the use of chemical weapons in WWII, and the gas mask remained a standard part of a soldier's kit until the last days of the war for that reason. That was true of most nations. Finland was the exception rather than the rule.

To add to that, there were many in Germany, Britain and the United States who had bad memories of the use of gas in WWI. Nations who participated in that war would have been far more cautious in that regard than those who didn't, which might explain the more relaxed attitude of the Finns toward the usage of respirators.

B.B.

Considering the Tonnage of German chemical weapons that have been and still are being disposed of since the end of hostilities, and how disturbingly advanced German nerve agents were.
    The reason lies somewhere between: that way they could rapidly deploy chemical weapons without prior Preparation at the front, there were afterall enough supporters for it. And, Hitler was reasonably
    convincedd that the allies would break convention and use chemical weapons against a German Defence that he seems convinced existed even when we today know it was largely broken and in disarray made up of children and OAP's

CBH
    ?

I think it all comes down to the fact soldiers still carry NBC kit and probably always will.

?

It is worth pointing out that although many German soldiers continued to carry gas mask Canisters towards the wars end, the Canisters did not necessarily contain a gas mask! Many soldiers, recognising that there was little prospect of gas warfare, ‘lost’ their gas mask but retained the canister as it was water tight and therefore useful for the storage and transportation of extra food, tobacco, clothing, ammunition etc.
    Cheers, Colin
    Last edited by ME110; 06-12-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Quote by ME110 View Post
    It is worth pointing out that although a number of German soldiers continued to carry gas mask Canisters towards the wars end, the Canisters did not necessarily contain a gas mask! Many soldiers, recognising that there was little prospect of gas warfare, ‘lost’ their gas mask but retained the canister as it was water tight and therefore useful for the storage and transportation of extra food, tobacco, clothing, ammunition etc.
    Cheers, Colin
    Then it's also worth noting that the Dec. 43 bombing of the US John Harvey with 2000 sulfur-mustard bombs on board was at the latest Feb. 44 public knowledge. Coupled with several German threats to use Gas, the only thing in my Mask cannister would have been a Mask and a lead injection
    Last edited by Teck 147; 06-12-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Typo

TWS
    ?

I agree with B.B. The memory of gas warfare of WWI was still fresh and it was also the principle of "better to have it (gas mask) and not need it, than need it and not have it".

German concerns were also not completely without merit. How a WWII Disaster—and Cover-up—Led to a Cancer Treatment Breakthrough - HISTORY

And as far as I know, Colin is also correct. Late in the war, not every German soldier carrying a gas mask cannister necessarily still had a gas mask in it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

This thread reminds me of the famous scene in the classic war movie ‘Battle of Britain’, when a senior RAF Officer shouts at a female WAAF Officer who is carrying a gas mask satchel carrier. I quote - “And another thing, Gas Mask Carriers are for Gas Masks, NOT handbags”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast