Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WWII German Gas Mask

Article about: I've owned this WWII German Gas Mask for a number of years and have always been curious if there was a way to find any information of the original owner. I tried taking a picture of the name

Default WWII German Gas Mask

I've owned this WWII German Gas Mask for a number of years and have always been curious if there was a way to find any information of the original owner. I tried taking a picture of the name which is written on a piece of white tape or paper glued on the outside of the lense compartment in the top cover of the carrier but the picture didn't come out too well. The name is "Gfr. Pick Max" Unfortunately I don't have any history as to how this item was obtained but the name seems to be so unusual that I thought there may be a way to find some information on him. As always thanks for any help you can give me on this!!

SargetomWWII German Gas MaskWWII German Gas Mask

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII German Gas Mask
    P
    Many

According to the Volksbund databasse there are only two casualties called Max Pick. Without documents it's impossible to say for sure if either are your owner:

Nachname:Pick
    Vorname:Max
    Dienstgrad:Schütze
    Geburtsdatum:27.05.1907
    Geburtsort:Griewen
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:26.02.1945
    Todes-/Vermisstenort:Höhe 269 bei Dorf Prav Rojcevic, Bosnien

Nachname:Pick
    Vorname:Max
    Dienstgrad:Obergefreiter
    Geburtsdatum:06.10.1923
    Geburtsort:Meddersin
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:02.07.1944
    Todes-/Vermisstenort:Alscut 2 km südl.v.Puszta Hatron

There is no one listed as Pick Max.

Max Pick killed July 1944:
    WWII German Gas Mask

Wow, you guys are great! Thanks for this information, it is really appreciated!!

?

The first one has the "Scütze" rank, which is two ranks lower than the one (Gefreite) on the canister. The second one (Obergefreiter) is one rank higher. Of course its not possibble to say if the mask has belonged to either of them, but I think a one rank promotion is still a lot more common than a two rank demotion, so I would say that IF the gas mask belonged to one of them, it was most likely Obergefreiter Max Pick.

Quote by DavK View Post
    The first one has the "Scütze" rank, which is two ranks lower than the one (Gefreite) on the canister. The second one (Obergefreiter) is one rank higher. Of course its not possibble to say if the mask has belonged to either of them, but I think a one rank promotion is still a lot more common than a two rank demotion, so I would say that IF the gas mask belonged to one of them, it was most likely Obergefreiter Max Pick.
    That was my thoughts as well, the Schütze named Max was the only other one listed on the VDK but his casualty card in not among those scanned. I agree that to place the man and the items together is a leap of faith at the very least without knowing how the mask came to be where it is now.