Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked (Koniometer??)

Article about: Greetings All Picked this up for \\$20 at an estate sale. I think it might be a Koniometer for measuring airborne dust?? So far i have had no luck finding out what exactly it is. Any help woul

?

Default Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked (Koniometer??)

Greetings All

Picked this up for $20 at an estate sale.

I think it might be a Koniometer for measuring airborne dust??

So far i have had no luck finding out what exactly it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Rob

WW2 marked Zeiss Jena optical instrument with case and ManualZeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zeiss Jena Optical Instrument in Case Marked  (Koniometer??)
    P
    Many

?

Very nice !! What I found..

Kimmtiefenmesser
    This instrument is designed to measure one of the errors that may occur when taking measurements with a sextant (the apparent dip or raising of the horizon line). It uses a prism system to line up two images of the horizon and so produce a correction that can be applied to the sextant readings.

The instrument was designed in Germany by Dr. Pullfrich and was made by Carl Zeiss, the leading German manufacturer of optical instruments.

The instrument consists of a clack-lacquered metal and chrome casing containing prisms and lenses. Through the telescope the observer sees the reflected horizon to the left and to the right, at an angle of 180 degrees. By turning the micrometer with a white (+) and red (-) scale the reflected horizons are aligned. The dip or rising is then read from the micrometer, whereby white is for rising and red for dip. The instrument is contained in a fitted leather carrying case.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Wow

Thanks for the quick reply.

That is very interesting!!

Who would use such an instrument?

Regards
    Rob

?

A sextant is a doubly reflecting navigation instrument that measures the angular distance between two visible objects. The primary use of a sextant is to measure the angle between an astronomical object and the horizon for the purposes of celestial navigation. Watercraft.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

You have done extremely well Robski, quite possibly the best $20 you have spent for a while!