Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

81mm Mortar L54A1

Article about: I picked up two of these at a local auction on a whim... I assume 1950's? The description claimed they were deactivated - someone I know questioned this and it got me wondering, how do I kno

?

Default 81mm Mortar L54A1

I picked up two of these at a local auction on a whim... I assume 1950's? The description claimed they were deactivated - someone I know questioned this and it got me wondering, how do I know they are and could active mortars easily get onto the open market?

81mm Mortar L54A1

CBH
    ?

If your not sure , weigh it and compare that to the loaded weight , you can research the projectile to find this number . If it's the same , don't move it and call bomb disposal . The propellant was carried in the tail and should be visible , always be careful with munitions ,if it's really heavy leave it were you found it you only get one mistake .

?

Thanks for the suggestion. Done a bit of research and found that this is an Illuminating mortar - 'Cartridge has a cylindrical body that contains an illuminating candle and parachute assembly. The round has a burst height of 600 meters and provides illumination for about 60 seconds for an area of about 1,200 meters. It uses the M185 propelling charge that consists of eight increments fitted into the spaces between the fins and held by a propellant holder'. So it's not high explosive and it appears to not have the propellant...not found out live weight yet...

MAP
    ?

Give it a good hard hit on the tip with a hammer

Sorry...Christmas spirit and my new bottle of Blanton's bourbon are making me a bit "happy".
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Shultz View Post
    I picked up two of these at a local auction on a whim... I assume 1950's? The description claimed they were deactivated - someone I know questioned this and it got me wondering, how do I know they are and could active mortars easily get onto the open market?

81mm Mortar L54A1
    Having been a former mortar man I remember these well ! Brings back memories lol.

This is fairly modern, as its 81mm and not in inches, I presume. If it's been fired then the cap at the bottom will have an indent from the tubes firing pin, but things are a little hazy, it's been a while .... Trying to remember the different colours of each of the bombs:

Eau de Nile (green) with a yellow filler band was HE I recall, white was illum, can't remember smoke / phos though
    "Per Ardua"

This is the para illum round, picked up loads of them in Iraq, they were nicknamed Goblets because they split in 2 and what often is found looks like a goblet. There is a join which splits open allowing the illumination section and parachute to separate. On yours it looks like there is rust at the join so has probably been fired and placed back together again. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

The Eau de Nile colour signifies smoke, the HE would usually be Deep Bronze Green with a yellow band.