Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ammo box

Article about: Hi there ! I got this one last week. Can anybody tell me whether this is WW2 or post-war? It is an american one isn't it? Or british? What kind of ammo did it carry? was it for rifle ammo? I

This is a really nice Vietnam era can! I have been researching lot numbers recently and came across your post. The lot numbers can be hard to distinguish but from what I have found this batch of ammo is probably 1969 judging from the 2. There was a case pressure test done in 1970 on Lake City, Federal and Twin City ammo and they used some lot numbers that started with 3 so your can is right in that era for 1968-70. This is a good can to have as a Nam collector because the 840 round can on stripper clips in bandoliers was typical for supply drop. Most reenactment guys focus on the wooden crated spam cans to use for displays but if you pull up original photos of fire bases you see these cans also.

Nice ammo box. Do not rely on it for ammo storage as there should no, what looks like, holes in the one side. Will not be very climate controlled.
    John

I should add a few things for guys trying to date Vietnam era cans quickly. The slanted lid was no longer used after 1974 but you cannot go off of that alone because of repacked ammo boxes and probably the use of leftover stock after that date. You want to see the early lot number codes called "standard code" 1965-75. The 14 number code was started in September of 75. So look for LL-NNN (l=letter, N=number) or LL-NN-NNN. The letters are the factory code and the numbers were assigned to the batch. When you see NN-NNN the first 2 numbers is the "interfix number" which indicated the actual batch made. Then the sequence number. You have to go off the batch number because the sequence numbers could be used over and over. So using your box as an example the M193 5.56 sequence number could have been used again for the next order of M193 Lake City made but the next batch would be a 3-. Not to get too confusing but each factory was assigned sequence numbers they could use. A few other things that are safe bets for Vietnam era cans is the M193 not the M855 5.56 and no NATO marks. Most of the cans you see for sale with the nato circle cross logo are early 80s lot numbers. There must have been a bunch of 5.56 ordered in 1983 or just a bunch of early 80s era 5.56 hit the american market because you see a ton of these cans some with pre-1974 slanted lids that must have been restenciled when repacked but most of it is M855 stuff. I hope this helps someone score some good cans for their collection.

We still use the M3. It is a cheap version of the UK's H83 and used for numerous types of ammunition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2