Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bits and Pieces

Article about: Hey, Found this american medical tin amongst some car spares at a local auto jumble, I was wondering what is the best way to restore it please... ?... Dimas! Also found a pair of British arm

sam
    ?

Default Re: Bits and Pieces

Thanks

I know not to open the ammonia, but i have checked to see if they are all still intact and all are in perfect condition.

I am actually going to try this method out on a ww2 US quartermasters jerry can that i found at the local rubbish dump

If i am successfull with this then i will try very cautiously on the tin.

Thanks for all advice,

Sam

William
    ?

Default Re: Bits and Pieces

Another material you might want to try is called "EvapoRust" It is non-acidic, non-corrosive, non-toxic (You can drink it if you want) It only removes rust, without affecting the metal in any other way. I use it to clean clock and speedometer parts on antique cars. It is water based, so may damage the label. You can probably get a brand new decal set and/or label from one of the suppliers in a military vehicle collector magazine. I don't think this is that rare that you need to do a museum preservation.
    Remove the rust, repaint it, and apply new decals and placards, if you want to restore it. This is actually a good lesson in restoration. If this kit came from Churchill's personal jeep, then you DO want to preserve it as it is. But if it is just another first aid kit, you might as well restore it. They even have new bandage packs, etc that can be placed inside (for those people who have vehicles that will be judged.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2