Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First World War sign

Article about: My brother was recently given this sign, apparently the sign was picked up in Worthing, West Sussex in the 60's and was believed to date from the First World War I know if I was home from th

Default First World War sign

First World War sign

My brother was recently given this sign, apparently the sign was picked up in Worthing, West Sussex in the 60's and was believed to date from the First World War

I know if I was home from the trenches for a week or two I don't think I would be spending any of my valuable leave attending community hymn singing events even if there was free refreshments.
    Still it's a very nice piece that he likes very much unfortunately

?

Ya never know... There are allways "Young women" at such events...And fathers and mothers..
    Back then, the best ya could hope for was a dance and holding hands... Perhaps a war time "Romance", it happend ....Now days that type of feeling is gone.. Thanks for posting..G

Society was so much different 100 years ago. We tend to compare our own current values and principles against those which were held back then. I'm quite sure many soldiers home on leave would seek solace at their local chapel - even if it was only to say a prayer for their fallen comrades-in-arms.

?

I agree with Harry The Mole...G

I'm sure your both right and with many young men signed up to the temperance movement I'm guessing that this would have been a way for them to pass the time, particularly for the drafts based in the camps surrounding the area, waiting to go to the front for the first time.

A nice sign. Oddly enough, though, I'm not seeing anything that screams WWI about it. It could just as easily be from WWII.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes I agree that it does look like it could just as we'll be from the the 40's .
    The original owner seemed adamant it was from WW1 and I also think that it was more likely that an event like this would have been more likely to generate interest with soldiers from that earlier period when local chapels were everywhere and we'll attended .
    It is painted over another sign which is showing through in places, maybe this will give a clue to date.

?

Very Cool Sign!!!

Dean O
    Canada