Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Planes of Fame Identification Thread

Article about: Hello everyone! The main reason I joined up with this forum, aside from sharing my passion for WW2 Army Air Force collecting and history, is that I need YOUR help. A few months ago, I began

Exclamation Planes of Fame Identification Thread

Hello everyone! The main reason I joined up with this forum, aside from sharing my passion for WW2 Army Air Force collecting and history, is that I need YOUR help.

A few months ago, I began helping the world famous Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, California (USA) with their massive collections archive. Through the last 50+ years, hundreds of uniforms, equipment, etc have been donated to the museum. Sadly, they weren't really taken care of and often tossed around without any identification attached to them. That's going to change. Myself and another POF staff member are now taking charge of the collections and attempting to catalog, identify, photograph, and preserve everything... From identifying what they are to the history of who wore it and who donated it. I've been with Planes of Fame for over 15 years now, and this has been something on my mind for many years. We've already made some progress in temporary care for many items that were left in bad environments and already discovered some incredibly rare pieces.

So how I need all of YOUR help... While I know a lot about AAF WW2 uniforms, we have items from every nation throughout history (WW1 to modern day) and many items we're going to need some help to identify. I'm starting this thread so I can post items we occasionally find to see if you all could help us out! I originally was going to put this thread in the aviation forum section (as okayed by an admin) but I think this section is the best since it's 'discovering' these items in attics, storage spaces, etc at the museum.

Item #1
    Where it was found: In a WW2 Aviator's Kit Bag with a massive 12 feet tall 48 star flag in it. There were about 5 of these items stuffed in the bag.
    Donor information: There was no info at all.

Item #2
    Where it was found: In a small box with some folded flat flimsy goggles.
    Donor information: There was no info at all, however a piece of paper in the box mentioned 'German Russian Hungarian'

I assume this is some sort of Luftwaffe winter cap, but I can't tell if it's a really good repro or original.

?

Thumbs up

No idea on the green thing.
    I believe the Lw winter cap is good. I have one, but not that nice.
    Sarge

Quote by Sarge View Post
    No idea on the green thing.
    I believe the Lw winter cap is good. I have one, but not that nice.
    Sarge
    What type of markings are on the Luftwaffe cap? Do you know a bit more about this particular cap and where it might have come from?

I think you might get more replies if you post the LW cap in a seperate, dedicated topic in the appropriate section?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I think you might get more replies if you post the LW cap in a seperate, dedicated topic in the appropriate section?
    The problem is, I won't be able to post new topics for every item we find, mostly because there's many I won't know what they are (such as the item #1 I posted on here). So I figure it'll be easier to just have one thread with all the items we find over the next few months.

cap looks ok imo.

Quote by planesoffame View Post
    The problem is, I won't be able to post new topics for every item we find, mostly because there's many I won't know what they are (such as the item #1 I posted on here). So I figure it'll be easier to just have one thread with all the items we find over the next few months.
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry, that is not the way this forum works. We have divided the forum up into different areas so that the members with an interest in those areas do not have to look through the whole forum to find threads on items they have an interest in.
    I suggest that for items that you have no idea what it is, start a thread in the Discussions section of the forum,
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/discussions/
    and any of the Moderators or Admins would be able to move it to the appropriate section of the forum for you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry, that is not the way this forum works. We have divided the forum up into different areas so that the members with an interest in those areas do not have to look through the whole forum to find threads on items they have an interest in.
    I suggest that for items that you have no idea what it is, start a thread in the Discussions section of the forum,
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/discussions/
    and any of the Moderators or Admins would be able to move it to the appropriate section of the forum for you.
    Ralph.
    Welp, that's not how the other forum admin suggested. That's going to be way too hard to keep track of each thread that's created and moved. The idea to keep all the items in one thread was to simplify the identification of the items so I could keep track. This is the similar issue I had with the USMilitaria forum and why I ended up on this forum (along with them being rather rude about me trying to identify something non-US). Looks like I may have to take this project to yet another forum instead if this isn't something that can be done in one thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast