MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Any art lover's/aficionados on this site?

Article about: I was asked by my Mother in law to look into her GGGrand father and this is what I found. My wife has the coolest family history going back to helping Percival Lowell to a Confederate POW wh

?

Default Any art lover's/aficionados on this site?

I was asked by my Mother in law to look into her GGGrand father and this is what I found. My wife has the coolest family history going back to helping Percival Lowell to a Confederate POW who escaped the Union Fort Delaware prison(Written Story by the Vet) to the Daughters Of The Revolutionary War certificate. Well here is the artwork from Sir Godfrey Sykes.
    On the right side click on the "View all 44 artworks",

Sykes, Godfrey, 1824–1866 | Art UK

Now I know where my son's drawing skills come from!!

I must say I did a great job finding this and other info about her family members. The research was very enjoyable!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

I also find family history research fascinating. You can find all sorts of surprises and sink a few family myths. I was doing some research into my mother's family, proud Scots born in Scotland. But going back a few generations I discovered the family was actually Irish in origin.

MAP
    ?

Pretty neat Phil! Very varied family tree! Artist, astronomer, Civil war vet!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I guess an Erin Go Bragh to Anderson is due

Thanks Michael, It is very interesting. The Fort Delaware Society is publishing the CW vets story in their yearly newsletter after I made contact with them about him. They said that had been looking for him for years trying to find out the How and Where he was after escaping. They said I should get that in February 2020.
    I'll post it here when I get it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I guess an Erin Go Bragh to Anderson is due

Thanks Michael, It is very interesting. The Fort Delaware Society is publishing the CW vets story in their yearly newsletter after I made contact with them about him. They said that had been looking for him for years trying to find out the How and Where he was after escaping. They said I should get that in February 2020.
    I'll post it here when I get it.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Awesome!

So anything exciting on your side? Or just a straight line of decedents from the neanderthals....LoL

Sorry couldn't help myself

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Awesome!

So anything exciting on your side? Or just a straight line of decedents from the neanderthals....LoL

Sorry couldn't help myself
    Sorry My Ass!!That was a good one. Not Neanderthal ,Just Jarhead's!!!.But No nothing special on my side. Except service to our country going back to the early 1800's. Just German/Irish ,Italian/Ukrainian immigrants trying to make in the New country. No Sir's of Von's on my side, that's for sure!
    That is why I said my wife's side is very interesting.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

....Except service to our country going back to the early 1800's.
    That is NOT an "except", that is an "Exceptional"

Sorry My Ass!!That was a good one. Not Neanderthal ,Just Jarhead's!!!.But No nothing special on my side. Except service to our country going back to the early 1800's. Just German/Irish ,Italian/Ukrainian immigrants trying to make in the New country. No Sir's of Von's on my side, that's for sure!
    That is why I said my wife's side is very interesting.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Interesting stuff Phil. No "Sirs or Vons" for me either.
    My family is German/Irish as well. They came to the US to escape
    the famines in the 1700s and traveled the Oregon trail out west.
    Some settled in Wyoming and became cowboys and horse thieves.
    That's where my small branch of the family tree comes from.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 09-27-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Pretty neat Phil! Very varied family tree! Artist, astronomer, Civil war vet!
    I just wanted to clear up the astronomer part of this. Stanley Sykes worked with Percival Lowell at the Lowell observatory. Here are 2 article from the Flagstaff news paper that I found in the scrape books that were past down to us(me) because of my interest in history. As you can see if you read the paper clippings that Stanley built everything but the optics on the telescope that was used to find Pluto along with other instruments used at the observatory. I liked the last paragraph that mentions that Stanley and Percival were also friends and just not coworkers.
    CLICK TO ENLARGE TO READ

Attachment 1344377Attachment 1344380
    This is the clipping of when Stanley passed away
    sykes lowell story1.jpgSykes microphotometer.jpg

Semper Fi
    Phil