MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Best cleaning method for bullets?

Article about: I have about 30 old shells i found out medal detecting a ww2 shooting range located in canada. Ive read all the treads about cleaning them with vinegar and it seems some people say its the b

?

Default Best cleaning method for bullets?

I have about 30 old shells i found out medal detecting a ww2 shooting range located in canada. Ive read all the treads about cleaning them with vinegar and it seems some people say its the best and some people say to never do it. I have also heard of electrosis and used it before on a piece of iron. Im wondering what is the best way for cleaning my shells. A couple of the rounds have no been fired and are still live ammunition. Does anyone know how to clean these live rounds as well. There mostly 7.92 x57 shells.

MAP
    ?

Member AT P Sweep is an avid metal detectorist and cleans his items up like new. Maybe he sees this and can help. If not, you can try sending him a PM.

See his long running thread and the results he has

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If AT P Sweep says differently, then go with his advice as he has much more experience, but (providing they're brass cases) I have found that tomato ketchup or lemon juice will get rid of the worst of any severe corrosion etc...

They're also good for getting rid of any corrosive propellant residue inside. Rinse with water, then dry thoroughly, afterwards.

With ketchup, make sure to get an even coating or results will be 'patchy'. Plus, with both, keep checking & don't leave them in for too long (say max 15 mins at a time), as excessive exposure will affect the metal - I've read the acid draws the copper out of the brass?

After 'soaking', or as an alternative, use a metal 'ribbon' (rather than 'wire wool') pan scrubber on them. This will leave fine scratches, so use a circular motion on the ends (with care to avoid crushing open 'mouth' of spent cases), then go along the length of the cartridge to create an even finish. The effect does fade somewhat &, if you don't mind a overly 'shiny' finish, can also be reduced by a final clean with metal polish.

Here's a quick 'before & after' of a .243 case I cleaned. As you can see, it wasn't corroded (although even that can be removed by these methods) but was heavily 'tarnished'. I did not do too much on this one, as its not a military case; just enough to make it look more like brass & vastly increase the visibility of the headstamp... but you should be able to get an idea of the results:
    Case_Before_&_After.jpg

?

Wow thanks it looks good im going to give it a try. I found a couple 7.92mm 1944 rounds and about 30 FN 7.62 1954 cases since i have so many i thought id polish a few. What do you think of cleaning cases like this? Is it better on display as taken from the ground or a nice polish in you opinion?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Garret View Post
    Wow thanks it looks good im going to give it a try. I found a couple 7.92mm 1944 rounds and about 30 FN 7.62 1954 cases since i have so many i thought id polish a few. What do you think of cleaning cases like this? Is it better on display as taken from the ground or a nice polish in you opinion?
    These are plentiful and of little value so it all depends on what you like. I like them with patina, others like them bright and clean.

Not like your removing years of honest patina on a helmet or an award.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I know coca cola works with copper!

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I know coca cola works with copper!
    Waste the "Nectar of the Gods" on removing tarnish? Shame on you.

Use some "off brand" cola!!!

Quote by MAP View Post

No man!!..... Nectar of the gods is regular V8 juice!!! (hey never tried it on tarnish, hmmm??)

MAP
    ?

No man!!..... Nectar of the gods is regular V8 juice!!! (hey never tried it on tarnish, hmmm??)
    Would probably work better than Cola. The natural acidity of the Ta Ma Tos will do wonders I hear

Quote by MAP View Post

Quote by MAP View Post
    Would probably work better than Cola. The natural acidity of the Ta Ma Tos will do wonders I hear
    Would probably be like rocket fuel compared to my "own brand" supermarket ketchup (500ml for about 20p!)

Considering my cheap stuff works quite nicely, after its already been used (& turned slightly black ) 'neat', even when diluted with water for a final rinse!

I've used Cola to remove light rust before, but not tried it on copper/brass... don't worry MAP, only supermarket's own brand at 17p for 2l !

Garret: I've taken both approaches with different items in my collection - 'shiny' (though not polished) for common stuff like 7.62 NATO but just a light soak / scrub to remove the worst corrosion & tarnishing on some dug 1918 dated .303 cases.

As said above, down to your preference really!