Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Brexit killing off Ebay?

Article about: Now that UK has left the EU I've noticed that some items listed by our friends in the EU now have 20% VAT added as well as postage fees, but not always. This can hike the price of some items

?

" ... that corrupt organisation ..."
    Please Harry, no politics ... !

PS: Personally I think UK did wrong.

Hi Narcis,

Politics aside, I think that is an unfair thing to say and could potential cause problems with this thread. I think we should focus on the topic.

I mean no offence by this!

Regards,

Will.

Agreed. This forum is one of the few safe refuges that exist from the world of modern politics. Let's focus on stuff that happened 80 years ago rather than the politics of today, please!

B.B.

You are right, friends.
    I agree

Santi

Quote by Saladin View Post
    That's interesting Steve.
    I have bought a few collections from Europe in the past but I tried buying one thing for 18 euros with the 10 euros post and ended up paying over 35 euros.

I complained to ebay mentioning that they are ripping me off charging VAT on the item and the postage!
    The corporate answers I got were that all VAT recovered went back to the UK Government.

I checked the customs importation rules and sure enough the low value item VAT exemption has been removed but the VAT should only be applied to new items from what I gather and certainly not on the postage price.

Best thing to do is stop buying from Europe till ebay start feeling the pinch.

Have you noticed that if a European buys something off us VAT from their end is not applied.

Cheers
    Doug
    Hi Doug,

From what I read of the charges, the VAT also applies to antiques. For quite a few years I have been buying things from Germany on eBay, but the 20% VAT and customs fees would wipe out any savings I was making from buying abroad rather than from UK dealers. But rules are rules, and we just have to put up with it. I dare say it will have an impact on eBay, but they are losing out just as much as the buyers.

Cheers,
    Steve

Maybe but with the US Postal Service having recently raised their shipping fees I've had several folks who have won an item i was selling on Ebay and then requested of me to cancel the sale. This is a rather new phenomenon as I don't recall this ever happening previously and now it's happen to me a few time in the last couple of months.

I think I’m just getting very suspicious in my old age. In the past I have bought and sold on EBay and proceeds have been kept in a PayPal account as a source of funds. Now Ebay are dropping PayPal and want direct access to my bank to remove funds I’m not sure i will be using EBay any more.

But considering that there are VAT tariffs that can be applied by the seller that reduces the VAT down to 5% on historical collection items how does Ebay know what does and doesn't fall under that criteria? It seems that they are just applying a blanket figure and then leave it down to you to submit any rebate claims with HMRC.

Commodity code 9705000090: Other - UK Global Online Tariff - GOV.UK

?

Hi Wilmore,
    I agree. Let's forget all this.
    Btw, some European customs are asking for the EBay pages to check if the declared values are correct.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I think I’m just getting very suspicious in my old age. In the past I have bought and sold on EBay and proceeds have been kept in a PayPal account as a source of funds. Now Ebay are dropping PayPal and want direct access to my bank to remove funds I’m not sure i will be using EBay any more.
    I've been reading up on this, because - as usual - I've not been paying attention to the changes that eBay are making. Apparently we in the UK have the use of PayPal as our preferred payment option until July 2023, and I suppose that will give eBay time to assess the impact the changes they have made will affect their business. One of the downsides to the new payment system is that it will take longer for monies to appear in your account once you have sold an item. I will probably see it out until 2023 and decide what to do then. Some people think that eBay are making a very big mistake by doing this, and they are predicting it will cost them dearly. One thing for sure is that they won't be doing this change for the benefit of the customer!

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast