Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Police and Services Canine Association Dog Trials 2012.

Article about: I was hoping for Brad Pitt but heyho.........

?

Default British Police and Services Canine Association Dog Trials 2012.

Last Saturday I competed in the BPSCA Dog Trials open to all serving dog handlers and also retired and civilian handlers of protection dogs. I was with my work partner 'Aoife' (pronounced 'eefa' to those non Gaelic speakers) who is a German Shepherd, just over two years old.

It was the first time I had entered any trials and as far as I know the first time Aoife had too. We were in competition with Prison Service dog handlers and RAF Police handlers in the Service dog category the dogs entered were other German Shepherds, Rottweiler and Malinois.
    Unfortunately the field wasn't as big as in previous years with financial cutbacks across the police and services which meant other handlers were prevented from entering due to budget and political constraints.
    I volunteered to pay for my own entry and membership of the BPSCA and the customer where I am based provided me with transport and fuel.

It was a really good day and an invaluable experience for both myself and the dog. It is easy to fall into the familiarity trap at work and become accustomed to the usual routine and training methods. Seeing some of the other dogs working and picking up tips from fellow dog handlers was a great learning tool which I can take away and come back next year with the benefit of this experience.

There were four disciplines to get through:

Obedience - heelwork done at slow, normal and fast pace with a recall, speak on command and retrieve thrown in at various points. All tasks had to be completed with the dog under control and as laid out in the rules.

Agility - to test the dog over obstacles and also the handler and dog control. The handler had to remain motionless, send the dog over the obstacle with the dog expected to sit before and after it had completed each one and stay there until commanded otherwise.

Property Search - this was a new one for myself and the dog. She had to find four articles within a 25m x 25m square within 5 minutes, indicate she had found something and remain under control. The handler is not permitted to enter the square unless they are going to pick up the article found by the dog.

Manwork - this consisted of three seperate tasks. Courage under gunfire, detain the gunman and handler to effect an arrest.
    Discontiniation of chase, the baiter to break from cover and run beyond a certain point before the dog can be released. When released, the dog is to chase and after a certain point be called back on a single word of command. The dog is expected to cease the chase and either return to it's handler, drop on the spot or carry out a stand off without biting.
    Stick attack, the baiter emerges from cover with a stick, ignore the handlers challenge and move to attack, the dog is released and is expected to bite and hold the baiter while being attacked with a padded stick until commanded to leave by the handler.

I finished third in the service dog section which was a reasonable result for a first attempt with a young dog. We were 19 points away from the lead and if she had completed her weave poles in the agility section (as she does every other day of the week) and completed other minor things as she does time and time again back at the unit we would've had a very good shout at winning it at the first go.
    So mixed feelings at the end, a good day and a useful exercise coupled with the frustration of 'what if.......?'! :)

Here are a few photos of the day and of yours truly......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: British Police and Services Canine Association Dog Trials 2012.

Well done to you and Aoife A very respectable third place !!

You obviously make a great team

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I think you did very well. Good luck for next time.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Is it me, or is it purely coincidental that on both occaisions the 'bad guy' is a gentleman of a dusky persuasion? Whatever, well done that hound!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well done.
    A respectable third place.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Were they found guilty?

Congrats and better luck next time!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Adrian, do you ever work incognito.......??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

How you doin' ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Matt LeBlanc Ned? Seriously?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Matt LeBlanc Ned? Seriously?
    Of course...!!

He looks good don't he? You can't even see the join where it's glued on!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast