Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Collecting Waffen ss vs Wehrmacht

Article about: Hello! I am very interested in both the Waffen SS and the Wehrmacht but I was thinking of which is the best to collect? The Wehrmacht stuff is more affordeble than the waffen ss but in a inv

Dont missunderstand me Chopperman, I have have a huge interest in history. And there is much passion. But when we are taking about bigger amounts of money that usally collections cost it is in my interest to know if the item holds its value.
    Can you collectors honest say that you would have put in big amounts of money in a collection if the value is not increasing or at least is stable?
    Last edited by ErikPaulsen; 11-10-2017 at 11:28 PM.

The value of militaria will always be somewhat stable. The same applies to antiques in general. Nobody is making any more of them, and as time goes by pieces break or are lost.
    At the end of the day, nobody would spend money on these things if they cared more about the investment than the historical value. They would go into an area of the antiques trade that is much more lucrative and fast flowing.
    Militaria is by no means a fast moving market, but I believe you're getting into the hobby for the right reasons; the ones that drive us all in this relentless pursuit of history. Whether one has a fortune or mere pennies to spend, there will always be something of interest out there to buy. And as long as the passion is there, you need not worry.

B.B.

Quote by ErikPaulsen View Post
    Can you collectors honest say that you would have put in big amounts of money in a collection if the value is not increasing or at least is stable?
    I have several items in my collection that I know I paid too much for. Do I pay
    attention to prices? Of coarse I do. I buy Items that I like and that I can afford at the time.
    However I will pass on an object where I know the price is way out of line. I am not
    worried about turning a profit ( I am a collector-not a seller) But I want to know I am not
    being screwed either.

If you have an interest in history and are not just looking to militaria as an investment
    then I would just say again, collect what you truly like and that you can reasonably afford
    and I would also say --- Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 11-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I thank you very much, both of you!
    I think it will be an interesting time here.
    If I want help with specific items on diffrent sites, in which category should I post?

Post any item you need help with in the relevant section. For example, a Wehrmacht breast eagle would be best posted in the Third Reich cloth insignia area. That way, the right people will be able to look at the piece and determine it's authenticity. If there are sub forums for the specific item, use those.
    When posting photos, use the forum uploader. It preserves the thread for future reference, rather than the photos simply diseppearing when whichever hosting site you use goes under.

B.B.

?

Thumbs up

I have Always collected because I like the subjekt matter, NOT because I think those items will increase in value! Have they, Hell Yes - But I have been doing this since about 1953. There are still many things that I would like to have, But I will not bleed like a stuck hog to buy them!!!
    Over the years my collection has progressed/expanded as my interests have expanded. This has been in large part because I went from an original interest in WW 2 German firearms to most things WW 2 German and then to the same for US, Brit u. ruskie.
    I do not buy much now days simply because there is very little that I want to add to the collection and there are way to many repro/fake items out there.

My one piece of advice for the beginning collector is to BUY BOOKS!!! Then buy the items of interest AFTER you know what you are buying and how to ID the Trash!
    Even tho I started when there were No repros AND No books (except for a few original war time publications, Most of which I now own) I have always - and Still DO - bought books on the subjek of interest!

And Yes, along with everything else, I collect SS - Mostly Waffen-SS, but also SS in general
    Sarge

CBH
    ?

As a beginner I'd suggest you stay away from SS items, far too many well-made fakes.
    Also reference books also hold their resale value and are a worthwhile investments in many ways.
    You should also consider joining the Gold Membership Here, it opens up more areas of the Forum, it's only 25$ less then a Wound Badge.

?

From my perspective, unless you have significant disposable income, as mentioned earlier, I would be wary of collecting SS militaria.
    Somehow, that totenkopf & runes gets many collectors all hot & bothered, and willing to pay, IMHO, grossly inflated prices for items that can often be well made fakes.
    To me, SS collecting is SUCH a minefield that it's best avoided, unless one comes upon the occasional item of unquestioned provenance, at a non-stratospheric price.
    My modest collection is mainly visor caps, and when an eagle & skull insignia set for an SS cap goes for $1,000 or so, that speaks volumes to me, and not in a good way. Pay $5,000-7,000 for quite common A-SS enlisted caps? Not a chance.
    Suum cuique as they say, but the risk/reward ratio alone is enough to turn me off, let alone the insane prices.

BobS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2