Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

The Essentials - My Interests and Where to Begin?

Article about: Both of my grandfather's served during WWII. One was in the US Navy (Pacific theater) and the other was in the US Army Air Corps (European theater). I am also working on my admission into th

Default The Essentials - My Interests and Where to Begin?

Both of my grandfather's served during WWII. One was in the US Navy (Pacific theater) and the other was in the US Army Air Corps (European theater). I am also working on my admission into the Sons of the American Revolution so naturally these conflicts peak my interest.

In terms of collecting, I am mostly interested in the Third Reich and its party politics, governance, figures, and propaganda (like Der Sturmer) more than the military aspect. In other words, I'd rather find a memoranda document from someone like Eichmann more than I would like to find a K98.

I am not sure where to start. I'd like to find reputable online sellers who specialize in Third Reich memorabilia and am hoping you can recommend some of your favorites. I've seen a number of books recommended on here that I'll be getting to help me along.

If you were to start collecting material from the Nazi Party, what would be some of the things you would be on the lookout for?

Thank you for your help and I look forward to discussing things with you all.

MAP
    ?

Before you begin you need to make a few decisions. You seem to already have made the first correct step in narrowing down your focus. But I recommend going one step further and narrowing it down a bit further. We can't master it all. Especially when we first begin. By keeping you focus to a small subset, it will allow you to study and build up your expertise much quicker. Once you have gained proficiency you and then expand your collecting and start mastering other areas.

Another thing is to realistically set your budget and always collect within your means. I would also recommend starting out with less expensive items while you cut your teeth. Making a mistake on a $100 item is not as painful as a $1,000 item

Whatever you do, never purchase an item unless you have posted it on the forum for authentication first. No item is so rare that you can't "miss out". There are plenty more.

Finally, when you post an item for authenticity. Do your homework first and post your opinion. You may be 100% wrong but it's an important part of the learning experience. It's no fun being spoon feed.

As far as dealers? That is always a difficult question as there are too many to count. You can start by looking at the sponsors of this forum. But again, always post before purchasing.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for replying.

I don't think I'll be buying anything too extravagant right now. We're saving up to buy a vacation condo / investment property but we both keep a healthy hobby budget. My wife is probably going to question why we're spending money on "Nazi swag" as she calls it. Thankfully, my 16 year old son is a history fanatic as well so I plan to draft him into this hunt.

How the NSDAP rose to power is what interests me the most so I think I'd like to discover items dating to the earliest moments of NSDAP and progress through its collapse. Things like ballots, political posters, buttons, and primary source documents are things I'd seek. I'd be curious to find things highlighting the party's anti-Semitic and anti-Communist views. I'm not sure what to look for or if there are even such items available. I think I'll probably start with tinnies and a flag as practical entry points. I have a few American items issued by various groups raising money for the war effort at home. I never considered that the Germans might have done the same thing so it's interesting to see the various tinnies people got for their donations.

One thing I have looked for, and feel a bit morbid for doing so, is the famed gold star badges. I have yet to see one for sale but I feel that the isolation of the Jewish people is important to both remember and to highlight. I'm not anti-Semitic myself even though I am interested in its historical significance. Are these things out there?

Eventually, I'd like to find some statuary, famous Hitler silverware, and items related to or directly from key party figures. I think these will probably command some higher amounts of money.

Paper Items, such as propaganda postcards, original period photos & letters, German Newspapers & Magazines are a good place to start, providing excellent source material at an affordable cost...

MAP
    ?

Quote by Karabast View Post
    Thank you for replying.

I don't think I'll be buying anything too extravagant right now. We're saving up to buy a vacation condo / investment property but we both keep a healthy hobby budget. My wife is probably going to question why we're spending money on "Nazi swag" as she calls it. Thankfully, my 16 year old son is a history fanatic as well so I plan to draft him into this hunt.

How the NSDAP rose to power is what interests me the most so I think I'd like to discover items dating to the earliest moments of NSDAP and progress through its collapse. Things like ballots, political posters, buttons, and primary source documents are things I'd seek. I'd be curious to find things highlighting the party's anti-Semitic and anti-Communist views. I'm not sure what to look for or if there are even such items available. I think I'll probably start with tinnies and a flag as practical entry points. I have a few American items issued by various groups raising money for the war effort at home. I never considered that the Germans might have done the same thing so it's interesting to see the various tinnies people got for their donations.

One thing I have looked for, and feel a bit morbid for doing so, is the famed gold star badges. I have yet to see one for sale but I feel that the isolation of the Jewish people is important to both remember and to highlight. I'm not anti-Semitic myself even though I am interested in its historical significance. Are these things out there?

Eventually, I'd like to find some statuary, famous Hitler silverware, and items related to or directly from key party figures. I think these will probably command some higher amounts of money.
    Tinnies are a great place to start. The are very interesting. Many many different types. And most are easily affordable. But also faked just like any other item, so you need to be just as cautious. And paper items as Glenn notes as well.

For me Holocaust items belong in museums given their historical importance.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Karabast View Post
    How the NSDAP rose to power is what interests me the most so I think I'd like to discover items dating to the earliest moments of NSDAP and progress through its collapse...
    This is the most interesting subject to me. I try to collect mainly PL and SA stuff, so I can recommend to start from there to your's collection
    But always collect what is most interested to you.

Tinnies, flags and documents are good to start. PL insignias are also inexpensive.
    If you are in to PL uniforms and insignias I recommend to get books: Uniform of the NSDAP by Jeff Clark and Cloth Insignia of the NSDAP and SA by John Angolia.
    Those have also interesting information about those organisations.

For the study these items, try to get as many reference books what you can find, in this forum has a own reference library, I bet you wanna go to check it out:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/german-militaria-books/

Also, don't forget use forum search engine.

Here is good site where can get some interesting documents and literary:

Premier Source of Third Reich Memorabilia & Nazi Lit | OD43
    -TJ-

I started collecting TR stuff in about 1993/94. My first Items were more like combat stuff but very early I switched to NSDAP and SA Items. Tinnies and Awards in the Beginning and Uniforms and Insignia since about 20 years now. It is a very broad field of collecting. It certainly takes a lot of patience and reference books are an excellent investment. As TJ has pointed out, when it comes to NSDAP uniforms and insignia, Jeff Clark's book 'Uniforms of the NSDAP' is the reference book. For me the best available book ever.