Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eyewitness museum

Article about: First off all, i'm sorry if this is the wrong section. Please move it if so. Some really sad news today. Last night there was a break-in at the Eyewitness museum. I'm sure some of you have h

?

Default Eyewitness museum

First off all, i'm sorry if this is the wrong section. Please move it if so.

Some really sad news today.

Last night there was a break-in at the Eyewitness museum. I'm sure some of you have heard of it. I was planning to visit once it's safe to travel agian. Guess that won't happen.

It makes me so mad that people actually can do this. In just 5 minutes years of history and passion GONE. Luckily the police is investigating and i hope the thieves get what they deserve.

chrome_0TrWI8QUiY.jpgchrome_63sCQWbmuN.jpg

Absolutely sickening. It's one thing to have your television or phone stolen, as those can be easily replaced. A collection like this can never be replicated. The people responsible have no interest or respect for the history of these items. They only care about money. To fuel a drug habit, maybe, or simply because these scumbags refuse to knuckle down and work hard for their money like the rest of us.

Unfortunately, the chances that any of this stuff will be recovered are very small indeed. These people clearly knew what they were doing, and they'll be smart enough not to sell it all in one place. It may even have been stolen 'to order' by a collector with deep pockets and no moral scruples. Who knows, maybe they will be stupid enough to try and flog it all at once, and feel the wrath of the powers that be. We can only hope. Either way, it's just awful. To see that SS mannequin laying in the dirt like that... It's a heartbreaking scene.

B.B.

?

That is terrible!!

In the photograph you show Tobias,
    It looks like an SS manniquin laying on the ground.
    Is that how it was left after the break in???

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is terrible!!

In the photograph you show Tobias,
    It looks like an SS manniquin laying on the ground.
    Is that how it was left after the break in???

Semper Fi
    Phil
    The thieves probably dropped it while trying to load it in one of their trucks. They stole 9 mannequins in 5 minutes. This was probably the 10th.

Sad news....

Santi

I know that it is some weeks after the event, but Wilhelm Saris has passed on these extra photographs of the damage caused during the break in. As of yet, there is no news about the stolen items.

Cheers,
    Steve

eyewitness-museum-7.jpgeyewitness-museum-6-.jpgeyewitness-museum-5.jpg
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 08-08-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Sorry to read this sad news Sensei, hopefully the Police will be able to reach a successful conclusion to this.
    Regards
    Paul

Hadn’t seen this until now...

Truly disheartening and sickening. It is the stuff like this that makes me lose faith in humanity.

History should be respected!

MG.

I hadn't seen it either for some reason. I echo the comments above and am quite lost for words to describe my contempt for these creatures. I am pretty disturbed by this but can you imagine how the owners/curators/staff must feel?

Looking at it from a practical viewpoint, this was clearly a fast "raid" but seemingly very unsophisticated. Looking at the damage caused in getting in through the door (if you look closely this was "sledge hammer not scalpel" work) and into the displays indicates that these idiots had a notion of the value within but absolutely no concept of the damage they could do to the artifacts (therefore the value) they were stealing.

This points me towards thinking this was not a professional job as in "art theft" style of stealing to order rather it was a much lower order of criminal seeking to make a quick buck to, as BB suggested to fuel a drug habit etc. This was no "Brinks Mat bullion" or "Covent Garden" jewellery job so maybe they will do something stupid in fencing the stuff or spending their ill-gotten gains. Sadly a lot will depend upon how enthusiastic the local Police are and we all know how that story goes when the stolen items relate to the TR no matter how valuable they might be.

From another perspective, look at the stuff they left behind. As I said, unsophisticated

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The price of German Militaria in particular FSJ and SS drives these crimes as the thieves know they can make plenty of money on the Black market of collecting . Without being slanderous to anyone looking at East European gangs will not be far away from the target , Romanians have been " looting " the big European Militaria Fairs for quite a few years , Ciney for example , pickpocketing because they know people carry large amounts of cash and breaking into the dealers vans etc .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast