MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Favourite war movie ?

Article about: I just thought I'd see every ones likes and dislikes Mine are : Enemy at the gate Shindlers list The egale has landed Sorry for my spelling ... Kind regards Alex

Default Re: Favourite war movie ?

Dear Friends,

myself i'm nuts about the ww2 fun movie called KELLY'S HEROES, which was made 1970 in my former native country called Yugoslavia, today known as Croatia!

My personal exciting part of that movie (TANK BATTLE, BELL TOWER, BANK BUILDING and MUCH MORE) was made at a little
    place named VIZINADA which is just around the corner where i used to live long time ago. I like to show you some present
    time pictures about the location which didn't changed much since 1970, but i don't know how to add those pictures ... ?

Even the upcoming RED TAILS movie was made nearby, got plenty pictures for you but my knowledge with Computers are
    low, any advice are Welcome!

Cheers
    Branko57

RED TAILS full HD trailer ... ‪Red Tails Trailer 2012 HD‬‏ - YouTube
    Last edited by branko57; 08-05-2011 at 12:28 PM.

?

am Ithe only one that liked Valkyrie ?

As I do not like much hollywood movies my favourites are:

1. Die Brücke (the Bridge) - a German war movie from the 1950-ies
    2. Talvisota (Winter War) - a Finnish war movie about winter war
    3. Stalingrad (German version, much better and more realistic than hollywood Stalingrad).

Russians have many interesting WWII movies also.

The Young Lions! A great, and in my mind, overlooked movie. Montgomery Clift, Dean Martin(!) and Marlon Brando star in this one. Well worth watching! Jim G.

A few

Downfall
    The Odd Angry Shot
    Max Manus (English title: Man of War)
    Full Metal Jacket
    Kelly's Heroes
    Days of Glory
    The Longest Day
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Sand Pebbles
    Zulu

Quote by colt45 View Post
    am Ithe only one that liked Valkyrie ?
    Well, no, I for one thought it wasn't bad at all. I just wouldn't count it among my favorites.

The problem with Valkyrie is Tom Cruse,not a very good actor.The others in the cast were great.To bad the von Stauffenburg role was played by a goose.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    The Young Lions! A great, and in my mind, overlooked movie. Montgomery Clift, Dean Martin(!) and Marlon Brando star in this one. Well worth watching! Jim G.
    GOOD MOVIE

Quote by operaman View Post
    The problem with Valkyrie is Tom Cruse,not a very good actor.The others in the cast were great.To bad the von Stauffenburg role was played by a goose.
    I would tend to agree. I thought his perfomance was okay-ish, but would have liked to see a better actor in that part, too.

For me, the bigger problem was that somehow the film played not so much like a historical drama but more like a Hollywoodish conspiracy thriller/caper movie, but - given that we all know from the very beginning that the plot has to fail - lacks the suspense and the pay-off needed for that kind of movie to work.

Still, I don't think it's bad; it does have its qualities, production values are top-notch and like you said, the rest of the cast (Branagh, Nighy, Stamp, Izzard, Kretschmann...) were great.

Quote by andy123 View Post
    Hi,

Quick question. Does anybody know the name of the film that centred around a young German soldier and his experiences on the Eastern front, and his death at the hands of some partisans whom he'd helped to escape. I believe that the American actor that played him, later became an American ambassador to Mexico.

Andy
    I know the movie, and it is a great one, but for the life of me, I can't recall the name. Good choice! Jim G.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast