Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First time buying militaria from overseas, any tips?

Article about: Good day to you all I have found an piece from a UK militaria dealer and is on reserve till the payments are made and I saw my email the dealer sent and they have a few different options to

?

Default First time buying militaria from overseas, any tips?

Good day to you all I have found an piece from a UK militaria dealer and is on reserve till the payments are made and I saw my email the dealer sent and they have a few different options to make payments such as, the usual paypal (which I don't have for the time being ) to their hotmail, BACS via HSBC, IBAN, BICS and the standard cheques. From those who've bought militaria from the UK to the States what are some tips you can give to me buying overseas. Thank you for reading and you're time.

Paypal is always your best option, it take very little time to set up and has some protective measures encase you get burnt
    Morris

So far, I have only used PayPal with overseas purchases. So far, I have been happy with it. It's very easy, quick, and as Morris mentioned, has some fail-safes built in - just in case things go wrong. I'd be curious to see what others say about various payment methods, myself.

-Robyn

Make sure you get a postal tracking number and then try not to be disheartened when
    things take a long time. Sometimes packages get held up at customs in NYC for what
    seems like weeks.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Sounds like your PayPal has been locked down. Not that you don't have a PayPal.

If that is correct, and it is only temporarily down, I would try to wait it out. As noted PayPal has built in protections (if you don't use the Friends option and I read somewhere they don't provide protection on Third Reich items - don't know if that is true).

All the other options have no protection. Once the money is gone, you can't make a claim and get it back if something happens.

That said, if it is a known and "trusted" dealer it might be worth the gamble. But personally, I only use PayPal.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thank you all for suggesting setting up an paypal and securing a tracking number, I've sent an email to the dealer to see how I can send the money to close the deal on the item so either later on into the night or morning maybe it will shipped . I don't mind having to wait a bit just more of when I get the tracking on it if I will be awake before they have to knock and alert my dog and wake the neighborhood . Thank you very much for reading and giving you're suggestions to the thread I've learned something new I really appreciate it!

ed: it looks like I can at lest to me start doing transfer I've confirmed my important info to paypal unless when I get the email and Im block to make the payment till paypal can conform by then I can start using the transfer of money I'll have to see probably in the morning hours of the night or just plain morning and if you're curious on the dealer (sorry if Im taking a different point here) the site to them. Montgomery Militaria