Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How do you display your collections at home?

Article about: Hi all, I am little curious how you display your collections at home? I am asking because I know people (well one) that refuses to visit me and no more contact since I started to collect som

The only thing that I have in public view is a pickelhaube and a
    two 1914 iron crosses. Everything else is hidden out of site or in our bedroom.

The first time my wife saw my bedroom, she was a bit worried.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My collection is very small and almost all American, so I don't have this problem. When I read of others who do have problems like yours, it reminds me of two of my uncles who were WWII veterans.

Uncle Bud was a paratrooper who went through D-Day to shortly after the Battle of the Bulge. During that time he saw most of the people in his companies killed. He was nearly burned to death himself, and was in the hospital for a year after the war. When President Reagan placed a wreath on the German cemetary at Bitburg, a television news reporter criticized the president for honoring our enemy. Uncle Bud thought the president did the right thing in honoring our FORMER enemies who fought well and bravely for their country. The reporter who was offended by the president's action was of age that he could have served in Vietnam, but he chose not to. Uncle Bud was offended by the cowardice of the reporter who would only fight his country's enemy if that enemy was in his grave and unable to fight back.

Uncle Walt served in the southwest Pacific until he was wounded and sent to the hospital with a broken back and metal plate in his head. He was never bitter about the war, but was angry when he read Lee Iacocca's biography in the 1980s. Iacocca was of age to have served in WWII, but his family found a doctor who was willing to diagnose him as unfit for the military, in spite of the fact that he lived a very active life and died at age 94. Iacocca wrote in the 1980s that we should buy cars from his company rather than Japanese cars because the Japanese are our enemy! They bombed Pearl Harbor!

I wonder if the person who is offended by your collection of historic artifacts has ever done anything to oppose totalitarians.

?

It’s obviously down to each collector as to what they like and want to collect. I’m very big on WW2 stuff, a lot of it TR, but I’ve steered clear of flags and SS stuff in terms of uniforms and daggers etc., partly I prefer the combat focussed items, but even with helmets the swastika tends to be quite prominent.

But in the current climate almost anything Militaria marks you out as ‘odd’ to the average public, so for this reason I keep my stuff off limits to visitors except close friends and family, just feels better that way.

I really appreciate all your answers, thanks! Interesting to read all your comments. Now a cold beer.

All I get is a shelf in the TV cabinet.
    I live in a very tiny house and my wife says that if I displayed all my
    crap it would look like a museum so this is all that's visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gregM

myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    All I get is a shelf in the TV cabinet.
    I live in a very tiny house and my wife says that if I displayed all my
    crap it would look like a museum so this is all that's visible.
    I have that same Fokker DR VII ....well almost the same. Had it since I was around 10.

(yeah...derailed the thread...sorry... but quite happy to see someone else has one too!)

Fokker DR1 1.jpg
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I have that same Fokker DR VII ....well almost the same. Had it since I was around 10.
    I've still got one of my old Bachmann minis as well.
    gregM

myself around.

For the most part Wifey will allow one full dummy out. But she Loves this once open display!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2