Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

how to find a shovel

Article about: My son got a shovel for free but off course would like to find out from where, when etc etc is. I am almost sure that is is not a to old one but still how to find out is a "challenge&qu

Default how to find a shovel

My son got a shovel for free but off course would like to find out from where, when etc etc is.

I am almost sure that is is not a to old one but still how to find out is a "challenge" ;-)

What makes me think that is not too old ( i can be wrong ) is de alu "rotary knob"? or what is it.... with google lens i did not find at all...

also tried to find somewhere on the web a website off a collector or so but also not found.
    Therefore maybe here somebody knows of can give a hint ;-) I added a picture , 1 picture says more then 1000 words ? ;-)
    IMG_20230205_150854 (1).jpg

?

Hello, it looks like it might be a post war commercially produced entrenching tool. It has design elements from the German WW2 Klappspaten and the American WW2 folding entrenching tool, but is definitely neither. The design of these entrenching tools was widely copied after the war for commercial sale. Are there any markings on it?

It's likely Dutch...often mistaken as German due to their similarities...
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I had a similar thought as the blade has the three recesses like the German style folding e-tools do. However you can see that the German style blade is attached to the hinge with rivets along the length of a reinforced strip of steel. The posted tool is attached to the hinge with rivets just in the centre like the American folding shovel. It also has the folded over rim rather than reinforcing strip of metal like the American version.

Pictures for reference
    A222C0F5-BEC7-40CF-8228-770FC9ADF833.jpgCA25E6D8-DBCB-4D64-922E-F70F52720F26.jpg

sorry for the late reaction, somehow i missed a mail or whatever to warn me. Any how i just hade an extra look and no signs at all. The thing that i find the most "typical" is the knob ? or you write it ? . anyhow, picture shows more then words ;-)
    IMG_20230325_204824.jpg