Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.

Article about: With deference to those for whom this has no significance but it is usual here to mark the passing of a war veteran of some standing I believe. Today His Royal Highness Prince Philip The Duk

Default HRH The Duke of Edinburgh R.I.P.

With deference to those for whom this has no significance but it is usual here to mark the passing of a war veteran of some standing I believe.

Today His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh the loyal husband and consort of our beloved Queen Elizabeth II has sailed over the horizon for the last time.

A loyal servant of the Crown and the Nation for all of his adult life he died peacefully at the age of 99.

Formerlly Prince Philip of Greece he was evacuated as a refugee to Britain by the Royal Navy and he had two brothers-in-law who served in the Wehrmacht during WWII.

He served as a Royal Navy officer during and after WWII seeing actual combat in several theatres. He was recognised for gallantry under fire on several occasions.

His naval career ended not when he married the then Princess Elizabeth but when she ascended the Throne on the death of her father King George VI.

The Duke was in appearance "a mans man" but if you paid attention a great sense of humour and compassion could also be seen in him. Often criticised for his verbal gaffs he was not a man to suffer fools and gave his minders frequent near heart-attacks when visiting military units during which he would often "go off piste" to seek out and speak with the ordinary people working behind the scenes.

His sense of duty and service to the nation are beyond reproach.

Your Royal Highness I wish you calm seas and a following wind.

Full speed ahead Sir!

If it is permissible for a Pongo (British naval slang for the Army) to use a naval expression "BZ"
    DofE.jpg
    RIP
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-10-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A fine tribute Mark, to a well deserved man.
    Regards
    Paul

Just a cross reference to GBs thread which I missed when I posted this;

Prince Philip has passed away
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."