MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Keeping A Promise

Article about: Hello To All, 76 years ago today the 384th Bomb Group took off from Grafton Underwood UK, Station 106 on a mission to the Ball Bearing Factories at Schweinfurt Germany. On this mission betwe

?

Default Keeping A Promise

Hello To All,

76 years ago today the 384th Bomb Group took off from Grafton Underwood UK, Station 106 on a mission to the Ball Bearing Factories at Schweinfurt Germany.
    On this mission between the time of 13:54 and 13:57, 6 out of
    7 B-17's from the 384th Bomb Group, 545th Bomb Squadron were shot down.
    My Uncle, TSgt Joseph Rachunas was a Tailgunner along with my dear friend TSgt. Phillip Chaperon who was the Left waist gunner was on one of those B-17's, The "Mrs Geezil" and became POW's at Stalag 17B for the rest of the War.

This is Ben's story!!

An Aviation Masterpiece & The Story Behind It

I was very fortunate to become friends with Dewayne "Ben" Bennett. The pilot of the only B-17 from the 545th Bomb Squadron to make it back to base that day.
    Ben had helped me with all the information about the day my Uncle was shot down.
    He also pointed me in the direction of the 384th website. Where I have become a member and entered combat crews from the original loading list to the database.
    While speaking with Ben about this day, he told me that he wanted the memory of the men who lost their lives that day to be remembered.
    I told him I would do that for him. He passed away in March 10th 2011.
    I am Keeping My Promise to him. I miss ya Ben!!!!! I have attached Ben's list of the men that died that day!

While I have posted those names for years, It wasn't until recently that someone posted a photo of Lt.Bedsole that I realized I have never seen these men's faces. So this started my journey into finding them all. I still need to find more, But here are the faces of the men who I have found and who's names appear on that list! This is the second and third attachment.

The 4th attachment is also something Ben had given me. It is the flight formation before and after the attack.

I just got the second attachment photo's last night and will try to get the sizes correct next year and hopefully find more photo's of those I still need to find.

They say you die twice! Once when you take your last breath, Then when the last person says your name for the last time!

Say Their Names. Keep their memories Alive!
    Always Remember, Never Forget!

I hope this message finds you all well during these difficult time. Stay Safe!
    Semper Fi and as Ben would sign off,
    "Your Fren"
    Phil

Schweinfurt dead 4-13-09 corrected.jpg
    Schweinfurt dead with names NEW1.jpg
    Schweinfurt dead pic with names NEW3.jpeg
    schweinfurt 4-1344 form befor after AC grouping.jpg

Well done Phil. You can be calm, because you have kept your promise. The names of those brave have been pronounced again.

?

Thank You Santi!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I just noticed that I made a mistake on the rank of one of the men I am honoring and I feel it a disservice if I left it unchanged. This is 2ndLt Louis Bendon. I had him as SSgt. He was the Co Pilot of the Lavin crew.
    Lavin Crew 2ndLt. Louis Beldon.jpg

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-28-2020 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelliing correction

Admirable. Well done.