Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Location info - I'm intrigued......

Article about: Here’s a question….why do members NOT disclose their “Location” as part of their profile? I don’t mean “34 High Street, Little Town, Hampsville…..I’m away from home between 9-5 and the Alarm

I suspect everyone’s already on a number of lists.....:-)

?

I'm aware that my fears are irrational but nonetheless real for me. I recently tried to sell something on ebay after years of not participating anymore. Ebay requires your town on your profile. no sooner did I list something that a person started emailing that he lived in the next town over and said he was interested in buying my collection and would like to come over and see what I had to sell. I never mentioned a collection, just one item I was selling. I squashed the auction and said never again.

I dont sell anything on ebay and prefer reputable customers I know or through a third party.

OR...seek a website that caters to that kind of item and either seek the next show or meet someone in a public place.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

My location is my member name Geelong. but this is were i lived when i first joined the forum. but live a few Ks away from there now in woop woop.

Default Our Photos - and what they tell us

I was at a UK Militaria Fair yesterday…walking around (disappointed…as per…), desperately looking for something…ANYTHING to buy…..and as I wandered I heard loads of snippets of conversations about “stuff” (technical term) and I learned some things I didn’t know…which, for a NPF (No Purchase Fair) makes it a “win” (well, that’s what I told myself as I stomped out like an angry spoilt teenager). The vast majority of the stuff was item related…where they’re stamped, are fakes prevalent, who made them, market price, collections for sale etc….

And when I got home I trawled the Forums…looking for that absolute gem which no-one else had seen…for a quid……..no luck there either!

But as I searched I became more and more aware of how much I was learning about members from the photos posted. One is constantly reminded to be careful re what’s posted online..and how over time it’s possible to build up quite a picture of someone from their Posts, Tweets, InstaFace and Book-Gram..and all those other modern things used by “influencers” (OK, so I had to look that one up…I think “over-made-up work-shy teenage girls” is a better description – I apologise in advance to anyone here who “identifies" as them). It’s clear from some of the pics posted that some of us aren’t thinking when “we” take / post pics…presumably we’re in such a rush to post the pic of that new acquisition (which incidentally won’t change much if you’d waited 20 more minutes) or where “we” simply HAD to be the first to respond to a “What’s this?” enquiry from Billy Rude by answering with the classic “Here’s mine!” (rather than "Please usually helps")

As I continued to trawl through Threads I found myself remembering the Robin Williams movie “One Hour Photo” (or, worse, “Manhunter”!)………

In a relatively short space of time I gleaned:-

- Postal addresses from letters on the table of the item being photographed (a member name of “LuftyDD” doesn’t hide Eric from Rotherham [made up!])
    - Customer Account details (letters on tables / next to keyboards etc)
    - Great shots of back doors and back gates in gardens (and their locking arrangements)
    - Misc family members in photos on the side board
    - Outside views of "ours" and adjoining properties
    - Entire (valuable) collections in the background (yes, I know there’s even threads for that!)
    - LOADS of pics of expensive outdoor garden products (albeit a forklift would be required to lift some of those BBQs!)
    - Dogs (we LOVE posting pics of our pooches)….some massive and angry….and others small, yappy and easily over-come-able
    - TVs and Computers
    …and even a partial Credit Card…

Now I know some will say “…and that’s why I don’t say which country I live in” (see earlier post re Members Location)…but when postal addresses are clearly visible…..derrrr!!!!

…and even if this is all just scare-mongering….you’re trying (one would hope) to share your item in its best “light” and show respect to fellow members right?

So what’s the answer?…..LOOK at your pic before you post it….or even stage the pic BEFORE you take it…and no, that doesn’t mean photo everything in front of Camo …..after all, that stuff is specifically designed to hide stuff / disrupt views etc….nor does it mean go out and buy metres of white card, white umbrellas, Soft Lights and Head Booms….

Sy Parrish and Francis Dollarhyde (Jees…I can almost hear Wikipedia collapsing as they’re typed in) don’t have to work in Photo Labs any more……

This post is brought to you by the “ThisIsn’tFacebook” Campaign :-)

Carter County Kentucky, though to find my house you'd have to fight through the hollers, thickets, ridges, canyons ravines, etc. Then you have to get past all of the feral and wild dogs, plus untrained dogs running loose, but are peoples pets. Heaven forbid you find a moonshine still or a weed growing operation, your body will end up in one of those ravines. Oh yeah, the people! The people all have guns stacked in every corner of their homes, chew tobacco like there's no tomorrow and drink Bud Light like it's always the last can. Mean as a snake, but kind as a preacher, it just depends who you are to them.

If you wanna find my house, come and try! Have fun!

?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Carter County Kentucky, though to find my house you'd have to fight through the hollers, thickets, ridges, canyons ravines, etc. Then you have to get past all of the feral and wild dogs, plus untrained dogs running loose, but are peoples pets. Heaven forbid you find a moonshine still or a weed growing operation, your body will end up in one of those ravines. Oh yeah, the people! The people all have guns stacked in every corner of their homes, chew tobacco like there's no tomorrow and drink Bud Light like it's always the last can. Mean as a snake, but kind as a preacher, it just depends who you are to them.

If you wanna find my house, come and try! Have fun!
    How about wild hogs, that would deter me in a minute.

shutterstock_153912332_t800.jpg

Oh, OK.

Quote by Aldo View Post
    How about wild hogs, that would deter me in a minute.

shutterstock_153912332_t800.jpg
    I have a mortal fear of hogs, because I remember my first encounter with one. In the dark. It was a 1,000 lb. boar, and I never knew it was there until it let out a roar like it was bigfoot or something. My dad says that I levitated onto the roof of our truck, lol!

Guess I’m fighting a losing battle...... “a galaxy far far away” isn’t funny...and isn’t helpful.....and the examples/explanations given around EBay listings etc don’t cut it. ‘Bottom line, going forward, is if you don’t help me I won’t help you.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast