Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Location info - I'm intrigued......

Article about: Here’s a question….why do members NOT disclose their “Location” as part of their profile? I don’t mean “34 High Street, Little Town, Hampsville…..I’m away from home between 9-5 and the Alarm

I agree with composite that it is interesting to know where people are. I live in Florida, far from any WWI or WWII battle sites, and it is interesting for me to know that a post is from somebody who lives in a country where the wars were fought. It is interesting to know what kinds of militaria are popular in different places, to read the opinions of people whose families suffered the misfortune of living in combat zones.

I have seen some profiles in which I don't think the intention was to hide the location, but to state it in a clever way. I could say, for example, that I live on the peninsula on which the cities of Venice and Naples are located. Other residents of Florida would then know where I live, but it could be misleading to people in Europe.

I too agree with Composite and I thank him for starting this interesting thread. I find it particularly interesting to see the various levels of paranoia that are represented, some of which are probably well founded. This location topic is closely related to another topic; why do so many members use an alias? I, for one, prefer to address someone by his or her first name. It’s more civil and more direct. I have been writing for publication for over 30 years, and all my books and articles have my full name on them, Dwight R. Messimer. Anyone who wants to know more about me has only to enter that name into a Google search and he will find all he needs to know as well as my current address. I am not wild about the address being there, but it has never been a problem for me. Maybe I am lucky. But I don’t see any threat arising from providing your general geographic location, Northern California, UK, Berlin, etc. In any event, the most important thing is the Forum itself and your participation in it. It’s an excellent Forum with a very civilized and knowledgeable membership. I thoroughly enjoy it, with or without locations and aliases. Dwight

Quote by Composite View Post
    Guess I’m fighting a losing battle...... “a galaxy far far away” isn’t funny...and isn’t helpful.....and the examples/explanations given around EBay listings etc don’t cut it. ‘Bottom line, going forward, is if you don’t help me I won’t help you.....
    Ahh look who's grumpy today!?! but I'm with ya!

Quote by Richard2 View Post
    I agree with composite that it is interesting to know where people are. I live in Florida, far from any WWI or WWII battle sites, and it is interesting for me to know that a post is from somebody who lives in a country where the wars were fought. It is interesting to know what kinds of militaria are popular in different places, to read the opinions of people whose families suffered the misfortune of living in combat zones.

I have seen some profiles in which I don't think the intention was to hide the location, but to state it in a clever way. I could say, for example, that I live on the peninsula on which the cities of Venice and Naples are located. Other residents of Florida would then know where I live, but it could be misleading to people in Europe.
    I sometimes think I live in Florida... no wait! it's much colder down here other than our short hot dry summers!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3