Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1482

Other hobbies besides collecting militaria?,

Article about: I like mushroom hunting, garden job, plastic models ( but have not time for that)

Those are nice sized little tractors, similar to the A. To bad the clutches in these old tractors aren’t as graceful as a car lol

I collect anything related to the Chicago Fire Patrol in which my grandfather was a member from 1924 until they disbanded in 1959. What was the Fire Patrols? All the big cities at one time had Fire Patrols and most were disbanded in the late 50's and early 60's. New York was the last to go in 2006. Fire Patrols were funded and operated by insurance companies to reduce smoke and water damage at fires. Patrols responded alongside municipal fire department to fire alarms. If no firefighting or lifesaving duties were needed, they would throw waterproof tarps over merchandise which would reduce the claims the insurance companies had to pay out. If the fire building had a hole cut in the roof, they would patch it and stop further damage to the building. It’s a little known part of the fire service that many people are unaware of.
    This 1951 Ford F7 was actually used by my grandfather in the early 50's. I purchased it from the Fire Museum of Greater Chicago for $800 yes $800 and it cost me $1000 to ship it to Florida. A 5-year frame-on restoration was completed in 2012. Being a retired firefighter this truck has even more meaning to me! In 2013, my grandfathers original driver drove my family and me in our cities annual founders day! Ron had not been behind the wheel in 60 years! When an 83 year old man tells you it was one of the best days of his life you know it truely touched him and us as well!reduced file rig pic.jpgCFD 6.jpg

The work of the Patrol!

img942.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks brand new! No short cuts were taken there on that restoration, and that’s amazing he got to drive his old truck again, I’m sure you brought back some great memories of his good old days!

Thanks Goon! Unfortunately Ron passed 5 months after the parade but I was so happy to give him the opportunity to drive the old gal again!

The toughest part of the restro was the wood work. Would you believe the body is framed in wood!

Here is a short video of the event: Cooper City Parade short - YouTube

That restoration is incredible ! My dad was a London fireman, 50s - 80s, there was a similar organization called the London Salvage Corps who did exactly the same job that you described but disbanded 'way back'.
    Regards
    Paul

Sorry to hear that, that wood work would have been very time consuming I’m sure, and expensive!

?

Hello the Goon, I’m with ya. 35 years of off-road desert Baja Mexico quad riding! Best, Bill

Cool

still biking on my bonnie
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.