Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Paranormal Militaria?

Article about: I hope by the time I'm done writing this, y'all don't think I'm crazy. Lately I've been adding a lot to my WWII collection, mostly uniforms, but battlefield relics as well. I have everything

My natural inclination is to say that ghosts and other paranormal phenomena are nothing more than a bunch of bobbeldygook. However, I have had some unsettling experiences of my own.

The one I remember most centres around a relic German M35 helmet I purchased from a UK seller, who in turn had sourced it from a digger in Russia. It was little more than a block of rust, with virtually none of the original paint remaining. However, there was a very obvious bullet hole that entered where the tri-colour decal would have been, and exited through the skirt. What most collectors would term a 'KIA helmet'.

Being a logical kind of person, I didn't think anything of it. Most of the objects we collect will have been in close proximity to death in one form or another, so why should this one be any different? However, after placing the helmet in my cabinet, it wasn't long before 'stuff' started to happen. Whenever my family was downstairs, especially late in the evening, we'd often hear what sounded like someone moving from room to room above our heads. They were slow but very heavy footsteps, the kind you'd expect from someone carrying a lot of weight, but trying very hard to be quiet. Whenever someone went to investigate, there was of course no one there.

On several occasions, always after everyone had gone to bed, you'd hear the same footsteps coming up the stairs. They'd always stop at the top, never moving onto the landing, but again they were very distinct. On one occasion my brother's bedroom door, which is right at the top of the stairs, opened by itself, but that was about as far as it ever went.

We've moved house since then, and I've long since moved that helmet on (the ownerless footsteps stopped as soon as it was out of the house), but it still makes me uneasy thinking about it. There are things in this world we cannot understand, and maybe we're not supposed to.

B.B.

I'm not sure about spirits attaching to objects but concerning Ghosts in buildings--
    I'm a believer.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Any more stories? Very interesting.

So I purchased what was a fake SS honor ring a few years ago (right when I first started collecting TR stuff....I didn't know any better, unfortunately)....but I have read that while many items were reproductions designed to fake out the unknowing, there were some items that were period made to more or less acquire the merit/honor of ownership from people not authorized to wear them, not dissimilar to "stolen valor" today.

Anyway, for the first bit of owning it, whenever I would handle it, I would get an instant, and I mean INSTANT headache that only stopped when I put the ring down.

I ended up putting it in a smudged circle of sage for a bit, but that only really dulled it so I stuck it in a safe and left it be...it eventually diminished to the point I can handle it now, but initially it gave me the vibe that it had some very negative energy associated with it, and if it was a period piece of stolen valor, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to think of why that may have been.

I been told lots of paranormal stories ever since I was young, especially from my Grandfather who went to sea aged 11 (around 1900-1910).
    He saw just about everything you could, travelling all over the world in those old sailing ships. Lots of tragedy, death.
    He never believed in ghosts as such, but he said there are definitely areas of our lives that we don't understand, comprehend or explain.
    He said he'd seen things at sea that he couldn't explain, that left him absolutely baffled and confused. He never said what these things were.
    But he did say he believed there was another level that our minds can't figure out. It's just far beyond us.
    He went onto being a Warden during the Liverpool Blitz and saw all manner of horror. Some really horrific stories, a real mans man, never took fools gladly. I too, believe there is some thing in our lives that we just can't explain. We never talk about it as we have a fear of ridicule.
    I never seen a ghost, but I have seen things that I can't understand.
    When I was a child, we had a lovely big dog, daft as a brush, but still a character. We had the usual door slammings, footstep noises and the lights going on and off. But this particular evening, four of us, mum and two brothers and one sister were sitting in front of a roaring fire when the the door slammed open with a huge bang. We all looked at the now open door fully expecting someone/thing to walk into our backroom.
    Shep, our dog, sat there and started growling lowly and bearing his teeth, looking again at the open door.
    I watched him closely, wondering what he could see, he watched from the door to the kitchen door, (straight opposite).
    He moved his gaze from right to left, following some thing only he could see, stood up and walked slowly to the kitchen door, still quietly growling.
    Mum went over and opened the kitchen door and Ben flew into the kitchen and started scratching at the door that led to the outside yard.
    Again, he burst out and chased outside what ever he could see and he searched every corner of the yard but there was nothing there that WE could see.
    What could he have seen? why couldn't we see it? why was he quielty growling? All his hackles around his neck/back had stood up...
    Five witnesses saw this, we still talk about it to this day, we can laugh now, but at THAT time, we were petrified.
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 12-27-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Really fun thread to read guys! I myself have had many different experiences, but not related to collecting (yet). Although, I have looked at Soldbuchs and other items that have seemed to "call to me", have me drawn to, or connected to for no reason, and that aren't in my collecting area. An example, currently I keep looking at this relatively cheap soldbuch, its missing pages and few awards, not a unit I'm particularly interested in, but I feel like book itself is calling me "something about it". Strange, anyone else have that happen?

I am a firm believer in the paranormal. Never saw a ghost myself (shadows yes), but have heard noises, saw physical things happen with no explanation. I have ghost hunted many times, and infact have my own kit. Voice Recorders, cam corder, emf readers etc. Definitely an area I find interesting and love to explore.

-Rose

Ok guys, I have a story to share. First of all, I’ve never seen a ghost, ufo, or a wife that likes fishing. Lol. This story spans about 25-30 years. It’s happened to two of my closest friend when we were all about 20, in Chgo.

Back in the late 80’s, my friend tell me of a recent episode that happened to him and his girlfriend while driving. He said she was at the wheel driving along at 35-40 mph when he saw a woman in the road right in front of them. He jumped into action and from the passenger side! He grabbed the steering wheel and yanked it so they would swerve around the woman. They did. He said his girlfriend yelled at him very angrily and scolded him because they could’ve crashed. She then asked him why he did that. He told her he wanted to avoid hitting the woman. She said she was paying attention and did not see the woman. I could see the seriousness in his face as he recalled the incident to me but I simply dismissed it as, “ok, sure, you were probably DUI or just tired.

About 25 years pass and I’m watching a tv show about the unexplained or strange stories, etc. One of the stories tells about the story of “Resurrection Mary”, a ghost at Resurrection Cemetary in SW Chgo. I felt the blood in my body drain into my core as I nearly went into shock because I knew exactly who my friend swerved that car around now, so long ago. I called him on the phone instantly and told him to tune to the channel. His gf, now wife, turned it on and couldn’t believe it.

Nowadays, Resurrection Mary is just a google search away. Back then there was no internet. I have ZERO doubt he saw her. None of us knew about this ghost at the time but apparently she is famous.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Hey now, I LOVE FISHING, I make my own stink bait, bait my own, unhook and clean my own. Catfish only.

I've heard stories like that, glad I've never experienced that while driving. Here is a doll I have that went off in the middle of the night a few months ago. I can tell you I did not sleep the rest of the night, and still feel like I need to lock it in a closet. I don't know if it was paranormal, or the pull string randomly curled back in. But I do know it saying "gonna bite you now" scared the crap out of me at 330am, and I check it every once in a while, to make sure it hasn't moved. Haha

-Rose

IMG_4354.jpeg

Lol Rose! Of course a woman reads my post. I had it coming. My wife also like fishing, sporadically.

That doll you have would scare me without talking. I can only imagine how you feel after it tried to have a conversation with you in the middle of the night.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Lol, Of course one does! Bust your chops a bit

I don't know if you ever saw the show but he's a doll from an old series called Dinosaurs, famous for saying "not the mama" and "I'm gonna bite you now". He does maintain a creep factor for sure. -Rose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast