Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

relics

Article about: hi all i was just wondering what your thoughts are on what is classed as a relic and a semi relic would a mint helmet but missing a liner be a semi relic or a complete helmet but showing sig

Default relics

hi all i was just wondering what your thoughts are on what is classed as a relic and a semi relic would a mint helmet but missing a liner be a semi relic or a complete helmet but showing signs of corrosion its a bit of a mind field so your comments would be appreciated many thanks james

Default Re: relics

Hi James.. IMO "Relic" would be the remains of something left behind. I feel an object with a length of time that has passed would be deemed as a relic regardless of its condition. What is from the past is the past. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

When dealing with militaria "relic" can have several meanings. A collector may say something akin to "I collect military relics" to non collectors for example. It can also describe condition. To me relic condition is an item that is "ground dug", very rusted or corroded, badly damaged, or just in really rough beat up shape.

thank you larry and frank for your thoughts much apreciated ,james

Just to add, that I agree with Frank-to me, a "relic" is something that has been dug or recovered that is still wholly recognizable but is no longer useable for it's original purpose-either from rust and corrosion and general decay or from damage. Some so-called relics are so far gone, though, that they drop into the categories of "fragments and curiosities".
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

thanks wagriff ,so would a barn find be classed as a semi relic of course dependant on the condition thanks james

Hello Col, A barn find helmet would have to be pretty much judged, as you said, on it's condition. I've seen barn find helmets that had bird nests in them, but with a gentle cleaning turned out great. Now, if the liner was eaten away by rats and the shell had a thick coating of rust-then it would be pretty much classified as a relic condition. It all depends on how far gone they are. In many cases, a careful wipe down and dusting out treatment will make a barn find into a nice found piece. If they have rust holes through the top and only have the liner ring inside? Well...not so much.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

We call this the War RELICS Forum but we deal in ALL grades of relic - from the 'woodwork find' relic to the 'ground dug' relic.

We run the full gamut from amazingly knowledgeable teenage collectors to salty old veteran 'relics' ( not me of course ) and amazingly enough we all seem to get along. If we ALL collected EK2's it would become boring REAL QUICKLY ( and EK2s would become a scarce commodity!!! )

Whatever we define a relic as, I just enjoy the camaraderie!
    Cheers to ALL!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Some prefer to collect relic condition items as opposed to better conditioned items. To each his own. That's just fine if it's what makes the hobby fun for them. What one collector likes or collects does not make them more or less of a collector to me as long as they enjoy what they collect. That is one of the interesting aspects of the hobby, the wide variety of items and the condition of the items that people amass.

Relic is ground dug or left out in the open exposed to the elements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast