Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Rembering Old Dealeers

Article about: Would like to see what the interest is in old dealers in the days for you older collectors Like Globe militaria, Unique imports, NCHS National capitol sales, Der Gaulter etc I have posted so

Quote by timothy View Post
    Would like to see what the interest is in old dealers in the days for you older collectors Like Globe militaria, Unique imports, NCHS National capitol sales, Der Gaulter, etc I have posted some old catalogs out of the 1980"s House of Swords KC area where I always got good stuff Edged weapons Dress bayonets, Combat ones, etc. See if anybody else remembers the days before the internet and all you had were lists so to say. timothy
    Greetings,

Many, many moons ago (back in the late '60s) I began my quest for knowledge of the Third Reich. Let's say my allowance would not cover postage let alone an Iron Cross 1st Class for an earth-shattering $5.00. So I had to be content with drawing these awards on paper, cutting them out, and taping them on my makeshift feldbluse. Still trying to figure out the rank structure I remember one day when I bought a Tamya Kublewagon set, I open the box, and when the directions spilled out so did the rank structure of the SS (Schutze to Sturmbanfuhrer). Well, it was frustrating that the ranks were described in Japanese but what a find. You'd think I had just discovered the Lost Scrolls of the Library of Alexandria (remember I was only 10). SS information. I knew enough that subject was VERBOTEN!

OK - OK so what am I asking? There was a collector I stumbled upon in the very early 70s. I think I actually found them from the back of a collector magazine and wrote them. Here is what I remember. The catalog would arrive folded and stapled. I think the color of this catalog was tan. There were no color pictures. One item that was always displayed first was the Red Cross neck award. Now that I was getting an allowance and doing some neighborhood jobs, I was actually able to afford some of these items (they were billed as post-war). I just never could get enough money for the epaulets (though I have quite a few now). There was always a picture of them paired. I do remember getting an Afrika Korps officer's breast eagle with a dark brown backing. I think they also showed caps but not uniforms and of course the awards. The hell with Playboy, the nerve of these people dangling a Knights Cross in front of me. And me on my lawn mowing allowance.

I think they eventually move to Hawaii and then I lost contact. My question is does the catalog I described, the mid 70's, the color of this catalog that came folded over and stapled, tan in color and about 10 pages sound familiar? Why this urge to go back into Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine? I just moved and when I was setting up my library and collection I came across a cheap plastic award box and when I opened it there was an Iron Cross 1st Class marked, from that collector back in 1972. Now with my experience, I realized it was authentic, not fake! All the times I would look at that catalog like the Sears Wishbook, I can see everything in my mind BUT the name. I would love to see it or at least remember the name.

It's not Unique Imports nor World War II LTD. I know this particular company is long gone BUT would be great to get a copy of that catalog/pamphlet for old times' sake and reference. It's where I started collecting.

Thank you for your time and if it does sound familiar, I would be grateful!

"Who will fly with Stachel?"

Default Looking for Old Collector from the Past

Greetings,

Many, many moons ago (back in the late '60s) I began my quest for knowledge of the Third Reich. Let's say my allowance would not cover postage let alone an Iron Cross 1st Class for an earth-shattering $5.00. So I had to be content with drawing these awards on paper, cutting them out, and taping them on my makeshift feldbluse. Still trying to figure out the rank structure I remember one day when I bought a Tamya Kublewagon set, I open the box, and when the directions spilled out so did the rank structure of the SS (Schutze to Sturmbanfuhrer). Well, it was frustrating that the ranks were described in Japanese but what a find. You'd think I had just discovered the Lost Scrolls of the Library of Alexandria (remember I was only 10). SS information. I knew enough that subject was VERBOTEN!

OK - OK so what am I asking? There was a collector I stumbled upon in the very early 70s. I think I actually found them from the back of a collector magazine and wrote them. Here is what I remember. The catalog would arrive folded and stapled. I think the color of this catalog was tan. There were no color pictures. One item that was always displayed first was the Red Cross neck award. Now that I was getting an allowance and doing some neighborhood jobs, I was actually able to afford some of these items (they were billed as post-war). I just never could get enough money for the epaulets (though I have quite a few now). There was always a picture of them paired. I do remember getting an Afrika Korps officer's breast eagle - silver wire bullion with a dark brown backing. I think they also showed caps but not uniforms and of course the awards. The hell with Playboy, the nerve of these people dangling a Knights Cross in front of me. And me on my lawn mowing allowance.

I think they eventually move to Hawaii and then I lost contact. My question is does the catalog I described, the mid 70's, the color of this catalog that came folded over and stapled, tan in color and about 10 pages sound familiar? Why this urge to go back into Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine? I just moved and when I was setting up my library and collection I came across a cheap plastic award box and when I opened it there was an Iron Cross 1st Class marked, from that collector back in 1972. Now with my experience, I realized it was authentic, not fake! All the times I would look at that catalog like the Sears Wishbook, I can see everything in my mind BUT the name. I would love to see it or at least remember the name.

It's not Unique Imports nor World War II LTD. I know this particular company is long gone BUT would be great to get a copy of that catalog/pamphlet for old times' sake and reference. It's where I started collecting.

Anyone remember Morris Gruenberg and Romex International?
    He was a knife dealer based out of Polson Montana USA

He mainly sold early Bowie knives but also sold some very collectible ww2 blades.
    At least on of my Brit F-S knives came from him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Some of you from the midwest might remember Mike Naugle and Dusty Rhodes
    from the 1980s military shows. Mike was a pickelhaube guy but dabbled in all this
    military and Dusty dealt mainly in ww2 Japanese items. Both have long passed away now.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

S.W. Holmers from Calif in the late 50's. Sold from a blue printed sheet.
    Pictured cap sold to Steve Fore for $7.00 then to Otis Marrs then to Russ Hamilton then to me.
    Still have it from all those movements.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrunoStachel View Post
    Greetings,

OK - OK so what am I asking? There was a collector I stumbled upon in the very early 70s. I think I actually found them from the back of a collector magazine and wrote them. Here is what I remember. The catalog would arrive folded and stapled. I think the color of this catalog was tan. There were no color pictures. One item that was always displayed first was the Red Cross neck award. Now that I was getting an allowance and doing some neighborhood jobs, I was actually able to afford some of these items (they were billed as post-war). I just never could get enough money for the epaulets (though I have quite a few now). There was always a picture of them paired. I do remember getting an Afrika Korps officer's breast eagle - silver wire bullion with a dark brown backing. I think they also showed caps but not uniforms and of course the awards. The hell with Playboy, the nerve of these people dangling a Knights Cross in front of me. And me on my lawn mowing allowance.

Hmmm ... Not sure. Maybe Delta?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Some old catalogues from the UK....

Bob, I've got a couple of those Regimental catalogues in the loft & some Blunderbuss Antique ones......blast from the past !
    Paul

Greetings Chopperman ,

I want to thank you for the reply. When I saw the picture you provided my heart leapt as I thought it was what I was looking for but alas not.

The color was similar and it was more like what you showed here, a pamphlet rather than a true catalog.

Again, I am having these split second flashes and I can remember certain pages in detail but one thing that always stood out was the image of the Third Reich Red Cross order which was ALWAYS on the first page. DAMN, I can see the pages in detail but not the name of the collector.

I will keep trying.

Scout Out!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5