Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Remembrance. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

Article about: Today is the anniversary of the armistice which brought the bloodbath of WWI to an end. Many of those who fought and their families believed that this really was"The War to end War"

Default Remembrance. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

Today is the anniversary of the armistice which brought the bloodbath of WWI to an end when the guns fell silent at 1100hrs 11 Nov 1918.

The fighting continued right up until 1100 hrs with nearly 3000 deaths on the last day. Even in the last few minutes!

Many of those who fought and their families believed that this really was"The War to end War".

Sadly it wasn't.

In the UK and many other nations of the Commonwealth the Armistice is commemorated as is the sacrifice of those caught up in the maelstrom on the nearest Sunday to the 11th November, this year it was Sunday 9th.

However, today is Remembrance day and at 1100hrs GMT we observe the two minute silence of the tradition.

Please join us.

stone of remembrance.jpg

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"

The Fureys - Green Fields of France - YouTube

(If this won't play in your region it is the song Green Fields of France by Eric Bogle 1976)

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-11-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks mark.
    My Grandfather was in that war. I have his dog tags and helmet.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Thanks mark.
    My Grandfather was in that war. I have his dog tags and helmet.

John

It would be great to see what you have John.

I don't know how many people are actually aware but officially the last soldier killed on 11 Nov 18 , on the Allied side at least, was a US soldier called Henry GUNTHER who was shot at 1059 hrs by a German machine gunner who tried to wave GUNTHER away (the armistice was known to all units at this time) when GUNTHER made a pointless bayonet charge as his own commrades tried to stop him.

The last official Commonwealth death was that of George PRICE a Canadian shot by a sniper during a recce patrol (self-initiated by the men themselves). He died at 1058 hrs

The last official British death was George ELLISON also shot by a sniper during a recce patrol at 0930 hrs.

PRICE and ELLISON are buried within yards of John PARR the first British casualty of the war.

ELLISONs' death is particularly poignant as he was an "Old Contemptible" (the Kaiser referred to the BEF as "that contemptible little army") and had fought at Mons so he had endured the whole war. However, these three deaths are so significant just by virtue of the timing but also because they were totally pointless and could never had been otherwise.

The Armistice of 1918 (many older people still use the traditional term "Armistice Day" rather than Remembrance Day) was the start of the national tradition but now "Remembrance Day" is to commemorate all those of the Commonwealth who fought and died plus those who served behind the lines to make it possible as well as those allies who stood alongside and died too in all wars since then but latterly we acknowledge the "simple soldiers" who were also doing their national duty and were also victims of circumstance.

It is true that nobody hates war more than a soldier hates war. The trouble now is that almost none of those in charge at national level have ever spent a single day in the field!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I didn't go to the 'official' ceremony here in Warrington last Sunday. People had already been warned not to attend... it was for dignitaries only, plus a select few from the Royal British Legion. But that said, about 200 uninvited turned up to pay their respects. The police who were numerical in presence were not too pleased about this, and are now conducting an investigation into this illegal gathering which breached current lockdown rules. I felt bad about not attending, because I ALWAYS attend to pay my respects to all the war dead, and to lay a cross in memory of Gunner Kim MacCunn and Sgt Bernie Fearns - who were shot dead within a few weeks of each other during our last operational tour in Belfast in 1974. I had paid the British Legion a godly sum to lay the cross for me at the National Arboretum, but that is not the same as doing it yourself.

On Monday morning I thought to myself; 'sod them', and despite the warning the Cheshire police of dire consequences for anyone who dared go to the Cenotaph on Wednesday 11th, I decided that I simply had to go. After a discussion with my wife, my eldest daughter , and my son in law, we decided upon a time of 10: 45 a.m, to meet up close to the cenotaph. It was a lovely clear morning, a bit chilly... but really not bad at all. We made our way over Bridge Foot to the cenotaph and waited. There were only us four and a couple of others. Then a few more turned up... and then with five minutes to go an army veteran turned up with a gleaming silver bugle. By now there was a group of around 15 of us, the police slowly cruised past in a van... but they left us alone. We all lined up in front of the monument, the bugler came to attention, and the 'Last Post' was played note perfect. We stood there, all of us deep in our own thoughts...and then 'The Rouse' was sounded. We nodded at each other before going our separate ways. It was a lovely short ceremony.... on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, when the guns fell silent. Not a politician in sight, and no stupid rhetoric from those who have no idea what it is like to put your life on the line. It really was a lovely morning to remember all those brave lads who never made it back home.

Cheers,
    Steve

I know what you mean Steve but I hope all will be assured that what the Police say officially is based on government policy and "The Party Line". What actually happens is based on what is commonly referred to as "Dynamic assessment" or to you and I "Common sense"

Drunken yahoos outside pubs in the High Street at closing time is an entirely different thing!

Regards

Mark