Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shell Casing Art

Article about: I received this item as a gift from my sister-in-law. Not sure where they got it from or who made it. Does anyone recognize the symbols? Casey ~

Default Shell Casing Art

I received this item as a gift from my sister-in-law. Not sure where they got it from or who made it. Does anyone recognize the symbols?

Casey ~

11DSC_5030.jpg13DSC_5028.jpg14DSC_5029.jpg

Is it a Russian shell? Can you please take a pic of the bottom? Regards

Its bottom is covered in green felt.

CM -

Then its hard to say, could also be a German shell. Most of the Russian soldiers have three names (first, fatherĀ“s and last name), so the letters are may be the initials of a Russian soldier name. But in the past I also saw many Polish artworks like this one.

CBH
    ?

It would be worth it to peel back the felt and find out what date and country of origin these shell come from .

Quote by RKKAFan View Post
    Then its hard to say, could also be a German shell. Most of the Russian soldiers have three names (first, fatherĀ“s and last name), so the letters are may be the initials of a Russian soldier name. But in the past I also saw many Polish artworks like this one.
    W & S are not part of the Cyrillic alphabet.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by RichieC View Post
    W & S are not part of the Cyrillic alphabet.
    Nice Richie, thats a good hint.

?

What is the inner diameter of the shell casing?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It would be worth it to peel back the felt and find out what date and country of origin these shell come from .
    I agree. It's not original to the shell ( ) and you could always add something back on to protect any furniture.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It seems to be the emblem of a Polish Military Counter Intelligence Force who were formed as late as 1957. Whatever, it all appears a little dark when you read what their remit was, the worrying term "elimination" seems to crop up with some regularity.

Mannie Gentile: Combat Helmets of the 20th Century: Polish Wojskowa Sluzba Wewnetrzna (Military counter intelligence force) helmet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Military_Service

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.