Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this storage option safe?

Article about: I looked around for some longer term storage options for my medals, and landed on some acid free poly sleeves that were made for storing hand made greeting cards in. They work very well, hav

Default Is this storage option safe?

I looked around for some longer term storage options for my medals, and landed on some acid free poly sleeves that were made for storing hand made greeting cards in. They work very well, have a nice reusable adhesive on the flap so that I can close them easily, and I like that I'm able to stick labels to them to archive what they are so that when I'm gone, my family can identify them easier (I like to think ahead ).

While researching the forum post archives, I read in a post made a few years back a story about a collector who bought some medals that had come in "medal sleeves" and he removed them and tossed the sleeves stating that over time, if moisture gets inside the sleeve, it can cause damage to the medal. This was agreed to by some other folks here, who told him that it was good that he tossed them. This has made me second guess my storage method, as most of my medals are currently in these sleeves, and I could stand to lose many things, if not most of my collection over the years to these bags if they are not good storage options.

Here are a few of my medals in these little sleeves:

storeage_examples.jpg

If these run the risk of causing moisture damage, would it help if I used a hole punch to punch a few holes in them, or do they need tossed altogether? My goal is not an air tight seal, I just want something to protect them from bumping up against each other, that doesn't take up a lot of room.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott

Jan
    ?

This is absolutely not a good way to store metal artefacts. Acid free light silky paper, loosely wrapped around the item is the best solution. Ask a local museum for more advice.

Best,

Jan

Thanks Jan. I have some vellum paper that I have used to make sleeves for my armbands. I wonder if that would be a better choice here. I also have acid free tissue paper that might work, but that's a bit more clunky.

Jan
    ?

I´m an archaeologist. I don´t know how vellum reacts with metal but I know that acid free paper is a must. Stability in conditions is of course also important. Don´t pack the items too close to each other.

Best,

Jan

Here's what I'm putting the armbands in. It's just vellum paper, folded in places to form a sleeve. It's completely open along one side.

storeage_examples2.jpg