Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Trip to Bavaria in August.

Article about: Hello friends, next August 4 I will travel to Bavaria with wifey and son. We will spend seven days in Munich staying in a central hotel, although we will move to Nuremberg and perhaps Regens

Do you remember that the western part of the Königsplatz ended with the neoclassical building of the Propylaea.

08..jpg

Well, 400 meters in a straight line along Brienner Strasse, two blocks, we arrive at Stiglmaierplatz, from there the street through which we came is called Nymphenburgerstrasse (which is the one that took us a few days ago to Nymphenburg Palace). Well, in that square is the building of a very famous brewery: the Löwenbräukeller.

09. Mapa 1.jpg

It is a reconstruction of the original, which was very, very badly damaged in an RAF bombing raid on December 17, 1944.

10..jpg
    A pic of the original

12..jpg
    An actual image

16. Loewenbraeu keller.jpg
    The lion statue of the Löwenbräukeller.

20..jpg

22..jpg

From 1940 to 1943, meetings were held here to commemorate the anniversary of Hitler's 1923 coup.

Three images of Hitler's speech on November 8, 1941, one year before the historical event we are talking about

24. El 8 de noviembre de 1941.jpg

25. Discurso del 8 de noviembre de 1941.jpg

26. Un año antes, 8 de noviembre de 1941.jpg

On November 8, 1942, Hitler gave a 55-minute speech, in which he referred in particular to the Battle of Stalingrad, which he described as almost won.

28. Der Führer sprach am 8 Nov.1942.jpg

I heard that speech in 1993, at the cinema, when I went to see the Joseph Wilsmaier film "Stalingrad".

30..jpg

The scene is unforgettable. Seasoned German stormtroopers rest in a building while cleaning their weapons. The weeks of combat have been very hard. Their faces reflect the concern they feel, since they have verified that the Russians are fearsome combatants, victory does not seem close or certain.....

32..jpg

34..jpg
    Two film frames of the scene I'm talking about

Hitler, speech about Stalingrad - YouTube
    Link to scene

The moment of farewell has arrived......

We saw some more things in those days that I recommend you see if you ever visit the city....

10..jpg
    The Bayern Munich stadium: the Allianz Arena (you will see it from the highway coming from the airport) If you and your children are soccer fans, like my son Alex, this is a must see

40..jpg
    The BMW museum. A simply amazing place for car fans and the entrance is free

20..jpg
    Olympia Stadium and Park

60..jpg
    The Olympic Tower - Olympiaturm

4_cilindros_y_museo_BMW,_Múnich,_Alemania_2012-04-28,_DD_02.jpg
    The BMW Turm - BMW four-cylinder Tower
    I upload an image from the internet, because my photos were not very good....

100..jpg

Don't forget to see the automatons of the New Town Hall clock chime at five in the afternoon, it's worth it

80..jpg
    Currywurst

110..jpg

Eat sausages at any street stall or bar and drink beer at any brewery every day!!

Dear friends, sharing all this with you has made me relive some very happy days with my family in Bavaria.

For me it has been a pleasure and it has been worth writing these posts and uploading some almost 850 photographs and images for all of you who have followed them.

I end as I started with a collage I made of the souvenirs I brought.

01 COLLAGE MÚNICH.jpg

An image of the positive meaning of life. They are a few German soldiers with wounds in one of their eyes. But they smile at life and with their healthy eye they see the good things, sitting in the immense beer garden of the Chinese Tower of the English Park. Let's do like them this year.

140..jpg

And if you go to Munich, remember that up there at the top of the tower of the town hall, the Münchner Kindl, the little monk with open arms, contemplates his city....and you.

120.1.jpg

Regards
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 01-16-2023 at 06:22 PM.

In response to a private email I add this section, which we could call a small bibliography...

08..jpg
    I have this book (in Spanish) and it is highly recommended reading, entertaining and very interesting.

10..jpg

13..jpg

14..jpg

14..jpg

15..jpg

16..jpg

18..jpg

20..jpg
    I also have this book (in Spanish) it exhaustively describes the enormous destruction of German cultural heritage from the Allied bombings

22..jpg

The other books (in English and German) I only know of their existence, I cannot give any opinion on their quality.

Regards
    Santi

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17