Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

UK Offensive Weapons Act

Article about: Hi Guys So I know Adrian did a post on UK gravity knife laws, but I really felt the need to open this up, not (as Adrian correctly says in his post) to start attacking the new laws, but to f

?

Default UK Offensive Weapons Act

Hi Guys

So I know Adrian did a post on UK gravity knife laws, but I really felt the need to open this up, not (as Adrian correctly says in his post) to start attacking the new laws, but to frankly try and understand them. As collectors (in the UK) we will want to make sure we are aligned with the latest legislation, but it seems this time the law is very unclear and difficult to interpret (at least from what I can see). The latest change from 19 July seems to apply specifically to bladed weapons being kept even in private.

So for those more informed and cleverer than me (i.e. most people on this forum), here are some questions I have, because all I have been able to find are a some two min police videos that are animated and go into no details what so ever:

- Swords... is a sword made before 1954 (that is curved and over 54cm long) exempt, or does it need to be an antique over 100 years old? Also, if it is machine made (i.e. a WW2 Japanese NCO sword), is it okay if it is before 1954, but not handmade (the NCO swords and others where machine made, although arguably hand finished as well)? And what about reproduction swords and knives?
    - Are all gravity/flick knives banned, even those of historic interest made before 1954 (e.g. Fallschamaeger knives and British para knives of WW2)?
    - Is the old exemption of knives of 'historic value or importance', or held in a private collection still applicable, or is this now no-longer taken into account?
    - Are bayonets affected by this legislation? I understand they are a separate category to knives or swords

Anyone with an informed view please help us all out, or if there is a third party website where this kind of info is clearly spelt out it would be great if someone can send a link.

Or, mods pls feel free to lock the thread if this is a 'no-go' topic.
    Last edited by MG42UK; 08-03-2021 at 11:36 AM.

I'm not in the UK, but I was just wondering, is there any significance to the date 1954? Did something happen in that year regarding swords, or was it simply a year picked at random?

Just for reference,
    Automatic knives, gravity knives, push daggers, knuckle knives, (or any rendition of them), brass knuckles, etc. have been banned here in Canada for many years already.
    Probably 40 years already.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by Richard2 View Post
    I'm not in the UK, but I was just wondering, is there any significance to the date 1954? Did something happen in that year regarding swords, or was it simply a year picked at random?
    Rumour has it that they meant to say '1945' but made a mistake and put '1954' not sure how true that is, no obvious reason to choose 1954 that I can see LOL!

?

Minor rant, but I am astounded this thread has gone unanswered by anyone from the UK collecting community in the last week.

So to help anyone vaguely interested, here are a couple of YouTube video links here of varying quality (English Shooting is probably the best) going into this stuff in more detail:

English Shooting: Can You Carry a Knife in England? - UK Knife Laws - YouTube
    Weapon Collector: Weapon Laws, Bans and Knife Crime Discussion - YouTube

I have also phoned several UK dealers in the last week to get some idea as to how they are viewing the new laws.

Anecdotally the view is that there are some clear no-go areas, gravity knives, sword sticks, throwing stars etc. However, information on swords and bayonets of a historical variety seems to be a very vague area. No-one really seems to have a clear answer about how military swords, knives and bayonets made before 1954 (or 100 years old) are affected by these laws, especially in the category of curved bladed weapons of more than 54cm long. What defines 'handmade' and what constitutes machine made but exempt etc.

It is in every collector’s interest to make sure they are inside the law, but it is frustrating when those laws seem confusing, and the items in question for many people are potentially costly and valuable items in their collections.

It would be great if other people would step-up here to join this discussion, we are being constructive here folks, and looking for clarification for everyone's benefit.
    Last edited by MG42UK; 08-07-2021 at 03:01 PM.

I'd imagine nobody has answered because most of us are clueless. the laws surrounding this sort of thing are myriad, confusing and often contradictory in nature. Look at the current legislation around deacts, for example. It seems to have more to do with an individual's interpretation than anything else, from both a layman's and judge's standpoint.

I think that's why a lot of collectors choose to remain wilfully ignorant, as that's better option than running the gauntlet, misinterpreting something and landing in hot water. Ignorance is at least a palatable excuse if push comes to shove.

B.B.

?

Fair comment BB, although as we know ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law. However, if, in fact, as you say, most of us are clueless because the law is so confusing it is helpful (at least for me) to have that confirmed by others.

Appreciate you responding to this

Right lets get the party started.I cannot find the term "Bayonet" listed anywhere on all the UK/GOV HOMEOFFICE website pages.
    Every link on google i've visited taking me one online forum or another just keeps repeating the same items.
    again no Bayonets mentioned.I'm a simpleton and have to be honest that three quarters of the banned items which is now 21 i believe I can't pronounce let alone I.D if the said object was placed in front of me.the obvious message is DON'T CARRY ANYTHING IN PUBLIC"
    Unless you have a really and I mean really good reason for doing so.
    But even thou there's no mention of Bayonets I still wouldn't take the risk of trying to import one.in my heart of hearts I think it would be confiscated.just not worth the gamble or hassle.
    agree with BB with the Deact laws when they we're ammended in may 2017 coming under the EU rather than UK that frightened a lot of dealers who dropped prices and sold stock off quick.however today your find many items for sale in the UK that have more moving parts than we're prior to may 2017.I don't think our laws have ever been straight and clear to the point,rather murky and very misguiding most times.!!!

Forgot to add about 3 months ago I wrote to the Home office regarding importing bayonets never got a reply back so guess their not to bothered about their laws.

- Are all gravity/flick knives banned, even those of historic interest made before 1954 (e.g. Fallschamaeger knives and British para knives of WW2)?

Yes, they are now totally banned. When this was being debated in Parliament one member actually raised the point about WW2 German gravity knives saying they were historical and valuable. He was not listened too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Just imagine a lifetime of work commited to collecting ww2 era airborne knifes and having amassed a huge and stunning collection only to be told "hand them in" or your nicked.that would just be so devastating.