Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown German army relic or ornament.

Article about: Hey everyone, I have this German ornament which has been handed down my family. It was given to my great grandfather at the liberation of Guernsey during WW2 as he was one of the British sol

Default Unknown German army relic or ornament.

Hey everyone, I have this German ornament which has been handed down my family. It was given to my great grandfather at the liberation of Guernsey during WW2 as he was one of the British soldiers to be part of it. It was on the desk of a German Major (unfortunately I don't have a name at this time, however Hiner rings a bell). I have no idea what it is and was wondering if anybody could help me identify it and possibly give an estimated price. Thank you
    20141019_105713[1].jpg20141019_105600[1].jpg20141019_105554[1].jpg20141019_105534[1].jpg20141019_105528[1].jpg
    Last edited by Larry C; 10-19-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

This does not strike me as a Third Reich item at all, though it may well have been used by a german soldier as you state, I suspect it is of pre Nazi manufacture. Nazi eagles are generally very styalised and follow particular designs (and incorporate a swastika) and this does not. I think you would have difficulty selling it as a piece of Third Reich militaria. I will be very interested to hear what my fellow forum members think and I will be happy to be corrected if I am mistaken in this assessment.

Thank you for the reply and info Ahh ok I'll do some more digging and see what else I can find. Thanks again!

It somewhat resembles an antique lamp stand (though I'm way out of my area of knowledge here). Are there any holes in it, or evidence of filled holes, except the three holes at the bottom of the base?

Nope the only holes are the three at the bottom. Maybe it's meant to be screwed down or atatched to something else?

Doyle I edited your title and removed the word "Nazi" as we dont have any evidence this being party affiliated nor would the use of the word be proper used next to German. This is a stereotype that most may over see as not all Germans.... civilians and non political branches of service fit into that description.

The artifact itself..is quite interesting and should generate a good discussion. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Ok thank you!