remembering.jpg

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

superman.jpg

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

To all my Brother's and Sister's that have served and those that are currently serving your Country. I thank you for you service. If you see a veteran today shake their hand SEMPER FI. Phil

Default Happy Veteran's day

Hope everybody has a great Veteran's day . Thank all the Veteran's That has served and Is serving in the Military, by the way That is me in the P-40 War hawk But Never flew it was fortunate enough to Sit in it for a picture Love the old War Planes

I think this is both a beautiful and fitting rendition of the Last Post for us all to remember 'The Glorious Dead' of all nations today, and have no hesitation in posting it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I did my last 'stint' in Tesco's - Warrington this morning. Someone from the staff came over to me at 10:45am with a printed sheet - and pointing to a word, they asked me how to pronounce 'Armistice.' The minutes ticked away and three times they announced via the tannoy that the store would observe two minutes silence. At one minute to 11:am they shut the doors, and a few moments later the two minutes silence was observed. The store came to a standstill, and then to my right, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a woman messing about at the self-service till before rushing past me. Another woman with small child was happily wandering around, oblivious to the majority who stood still.

Every year I am taken aback by the generosity of the public. Yesterday, one woman pointed to a knitted poppy she wore on her coat - and she told me that she made them for friends and relations too. Then she proceeded to put £30 into the collection box - the money made from the sale of her own poppies. Ten minutes later another woman came along. She too was wearing a home-made poppy, and another £25 went into the box. And then you meet the vets with their stories, and the widows with their memories. It is truly humbling at times.

Cheers,
    Steve.

15032147_10154225148698577_7485510878256925369_n.jpg

Great work Steve, my grandmother collected for the British Legion every year until her death in 1992.

I am still somewhat annoyed by the ignorance of some people on Armistice day

Cheers

Good on you Steve!....

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Great work Steve, my grandmother collected for the British Legion every year until her death in 1992.

I am still somewhat annoyed by the ignorance of some people on Armistice day

Cheers
    You get used to it after a while. I also used to look at people and wonder why they never bothered to wear poppies, my immediate thought being that they didn't bother to donate. But when I started helping out the RBL some years back, I soon realised that plenty of people give generous donations but prefer not to wear a poppy.

When I was a 6th grader, I had to stand in front of the school assembly during a Veteran's Day
    program and recite "in Flander's Fields" from memory. I was so scared I nearly pissed myself
    but I got through it. Too this day, that poem and the poppies mean a lot to me. Now more than
    then because now I am old enough to understand what it was all about.

God bless all those who died doing their duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast