Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

What are you currently reading?

Article about: I always enjoy stumbling on good books that I haven't read or noticed before. Please share the book or books that you are currently reading . I'm sorry if a thread of this sort has already b

I had finished Robert Leckie's Helmet For My Pillow a couple of weeks ago. It was a very good book. Quite interesting, though I especially think the Guadalcanal part of the book was best. Sounds like Leckie was quite a character, and a bit impish.

I have moved on to Chuck Tatum's Red Blood, Black Sand (supposedly the third book that HBO's The Pacific was based on). I only have about ten more chapters in it. So far, I like the book, but it is my least favorite of the three. Not that Mr. Tatum's war stories and experiences aren't important, I was just under the impression that he had followed along with John Basilone more through the war, not just on Iwo Jima in the final hours of Basilone's life. That part of the book only encompasses about one chapter of the book. Which is fine, because his story has been interesting, but it doesn't seem like enough of the book to put it as part of the title.

Red Blood Black Sand.PNG

I have to say, I liked Sledge's book the best overall. Sledge's account resounded more with me than the others, and seemed the most thoughtful.

Rogge, I see you jumped into the Pacific War reading too!

Yeah, I figured I'd give Europe and the high seas a break for a while. Helmet For My Pillow is on my list!

Luke

81ukTsFOU2L.jpg516OGG4GZ9L.jpg81C6TF3xn5L.jpg91xeiLRe6fL.jpg9781250772626.jpg91WPkbvf4XL._AC_SY550_.jpg91UuN6CdVrL.jpg

I just bought all of these today. Books-A-Million is having trouble keeping stuff in stock for me, lol!

Next, I would really like to get Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius. I'll look out for a signed edition.

I just finished reading Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger. Very graphic and gripping, I loved every minute of it.

Mr. Carius probably signed a lot of books so I'm sure you have a good chance of finding one for sale. Good luck!

Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!

RustyRelics, let me know how the Stalingrad book is after you read it. I've been wanting to read one about Stalingrad, and have a few options (including that specific one) on my "to be read" list. Just wondering if it's good. Storm of Steel and Spearhead are ones that I've been wanting to read. I think I'm going to have to add Inferno...that one sounds interesting.

-Robyn

?

Im nearly finished this one ( one of my Christmas presents )
    F-4 Vietnam action.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1476901

Attachment 1476902

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    RustyRelics, let me know how the Stalingrad book is after you read it. I've been wanting to read one about Stalingrad, and have a few options (including that specific one) on my "to be read" list. Just wondering if it's good. Storm of Steel and Spearhead are ones that I've been wanting to read. I think I'm going to have to add Inferno...that one sounds interesting.

-Robyn
    Hi Robyn, if I may, in my humble opinion Antony Beevor's book on Stalingrad is simply fantastic. I was so passionate about reading it and it moved me in such a way that I remember perfectly that when I finished reading it ... I read it a second time

Santi

I have read Stalingrad & Red Blood Snow & would recommend. I'm currently reading 'Though Hell for Hitler' by Henry Metalmann, fascinating book !
    Regards
    Paul

Santi and Paul - Thanks! I will be sure to read Beevor's Stalingrad. Glad to have the recommendation! I've been wanting to read a well-written account of the battle for a while.

-Robyn

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast