Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

WHAT is your favorite soldier's MEMOIR/AUTOBIOGRAPHY?

Article about: Thought this would be a good topic if it hasn't already been created. Nothing tells more then a primary account. Any recommendations or favorites? For myself I would have to say it would be

Quote by Kevin Grootaers View Post
    I haven't read that one Nick.
    Its one of the best imo

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks mate have you read the SS-Sonderkommando "Dirlewanger. Is it worth buying.

?

Reviving an old thread as it provided me some good recommendations. I have just bought a copy of Old Soldiers Never Die. Having read Siegfried Sassoons Sherston trilogy and Robert Graves’ Goodbye To All That, it seems only right to get a private soldiers perspective on life in the RWF.

I didn’t see a few of my favourite memoirs that I will add:
    1. Company K by William March - not a memoir persay but written by a decorated marine corps veteran based on his experiences and that of his company in France in WW1. Explores the experience of an entire company through over 100 perspectives with their own chapters. I couldnt stop reading it and I cant recommended reading it enough but I think this book may be out of print.

2. Soldier on the southern front by Emilio Lussu. This was recently translated to English from Italian. It details the authors time as an infantry officer in the Italian mountain campaigns of 1915.

Also
    And we go on by Will Bird (Canada WW1)
    Peur by Gabriel Chevalier (France WW1)
    Last edited by latt; 03-11-2023 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Double posted

?

Hi

Mark of the Lion and Inglorious Gunner are two great New Zealand books.
    I also really like WAR by Roald Dahl. Part of his Bio.

Thanks

Danger

Was pleased recently receive a 1945 edition of Up Front by Bill Mauldin from a friend who found it at a car boot stall for 50p!

Definitely has to be..

Poilu, by Louis Barthas. A member of the French Infanterie Territoriale who served from 1914-1918.

And

Trenching at Gallipoli, by John Gallishaw. A member of the 1st Newfoundland Regiment writing about his experience at Gallipoli in 1915.

I've always been interested in the war on the Eastern Front and this book by Leon Degrelle who was a traitor but is still a very good book that describes the horrors of combat in Russia. I've had this book over thirty years and I've read it several times.

Bill20240215_195156.jpg
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7