Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why does everyone hate Jo Rivett?

Article about: Why is Jo Rivett so hated? Although appearing arrogant due to his knowledge from his forum interactions and interviews I've read, people seem to despise him for providing detailed research t

Well some admin over at WAF decided to delete my post. Guess the truth hurts. They won't be getting a dime out of me for membership ever.

He has exposed many fakes over the years and his books are excellent, however he does rub some people the wrong way. His ousting of the small fake enamel Fallschirmjäger badges really set off a lot of older collectors on the WAF.

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    He has exposed many fakes over the years and his books are excellent, however he does rub some people the wrong way. His ousting of the small fake enamel Fallschirmjäger badges really set off a lot of older collectors on the WAF.
    You'd think people would be grateful, but I suppose when objects you've spent decent money on you have a right to be upset. But not at the person who found the truth.

?

He is obviously very smart/knowledgeable his personality is in my opinion very off-putting and he just comes across as unlikable and borderline unwatchable

Hello,
    I can't comment about this person as i don't know who Jo Rivett is....
    I googled this name and found the photo of a cute blond woman in her late thirties or early forties, but honestly i don't think this is the person you're all talking about...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I'd never heard of this guy and I don't collect TR stuff...I'm here to learn...so for me it's all about communication, facts and debate....and the HOW this is undertaken is key. It's been suggested that without the benefit of body language just-spoken or just-written comms are about 10-20% effective...so we all SHOULD think about HOW we "say" (write) things on Fora as well as the WHAT we say. Despite not collecting, I read loads of I-don't-like-the-claw.....the-feathers-look-wrong....the-rune-outline-is-too-thick.....and then the best one of all - "Fake!"...I learn nothing from these..and, in my view, the posters gain no "respect points" (in my mind) for responding in such a way either. People make a Forum, not the items they talk about...if someone knows his topic, but is unable to communicate it decently, let them write a book....sales figures will help them understand.

The "forgery super-tanker" (there isn't one...it's a metaphor..I think!) is too big to turn-around now...even if production stopped now they'll stay in collections, filling shelves and making the owners happy...until they come to sell up....and then there's a whole load of un-researching newbies who too want that "cool" item in their collection. I think most of this comes down to money. Every investment carries risks and values can go up and down - would (should?) anyone spend a lot of money on something they aren't sure about?..if you weren't a Structural Engineer would you buy that beautiful house on that cliff top without a survey? would you buy that beautiful classic car without having an expert look at it? And I guess this is the point of the posting...what if you can't trust the "experts". If someone is THAT keen to jump in and spend thousands THEY should be happy with what they buy....whatever it is.....if they're foolish enough to seek experts views AFTER their purchase (and in public, online!) then they need to be prepared for the worst....but hopefully they'll still LIKE the item, after all, they bought it!

A penultimate word from me on this....I don't know any of the so-called "big boys" in the TR market...tho I see them on Youtube, in articles (just cos I don't collect doesn't mean I'll ignore a learning opportunity)...but I can't recall ever hearing the WHY ie "...the technology to produce that finish wasn't available until the 60's when XYX was invented..." although I do see/hear a lot of "obvious copy", "faked" etc....and yes, I appreciate that IF they were to say stuff like that the fakers would perfect their art........

If you like it and can afford it - buy it for the item you see...if you want an INVESTMENT, think harder, after all, the vast majority of what we collect was thrown away by someone long before we got it.

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...but I can't recall ever hearing the WHY ie "...the technology to produce that finish wasn't available until the 60's when XYX was invented..." although I do see/hear a lot of "obvious copy", "faked" etc....
    Yes, this is one of my big complaints as a newer collector. I don't mind searching the forum(s) and reading and learning...but you need to provide cite-able sources. Like you learned your stuff somewhere, so WHERE? It will be up to us who are digesting the information to determine if we trust the source.

Ralph - thanks for trying to keep the thread on track

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2