Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Why is this popular? Bad "restorations" all over YouTube.

Article about: I was very surprised by this video I came across today with almost 3,000 likes and hardly any dislikes of someone "restoring" a relatively rare stalhelm that certainly lost most of

Angry Why is this popular? Bad "restorations" all over YouTube.

I was very surprised by this video I came across today with almost 3,000 likes and hardly any dislikes of someone "restoring" a relatively rare stalhelm that certainly lost most of its value in the process.

In the process of his "restoration" he does the following:

- Removes its original paint which was still in good condition
    - Gives it two repro decals that were not original to this helmet (and even acknowledges that it was a Luftschutz helmet)
    - Gives it a repro liner
    - Gives it a very odd blue (I would note, spray-painted) paintjob to make it a "police" helmet

This seems rather disrespectful and destructive to me, am I being too hard on this practice?

I normally like this guy, but in this case i have to agree. Horrible restoration job. Paint does look completly wrong, and the OG paint was in a fairly good state.

Be as hard as you like - this is as bad as that "American Restoration" show - destroying ALL originality from an item just to make it look "flashy" .......grrrr.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Lots of controversy surrounding this, I too am not a fan of helmet restoration. Though I don't think everybody should be so hard on nick right now, Especially given his current life situation. Though it is sad to see somebody who cares so much about history erase it, (Why remove the original paint!), reminds me of those awful Ssh36 restorations.

He then goes on to remove any reaming history from an M42. Enough said.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N50DHw...re=emb_rel_end

Cowboy this fella is!

I don’t think your being too hard at all, Im no helmet expert but this was a pretty bad restoration, and as mentioned he “restored” that m42 which didn’t need to be touched.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cowboy this fella is!
    You tell 'em Yoda!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I am really reluctant to respray any of the cheap shells I have bought,although I have installed repro liners on a few.
    Nick's passion for WW2 items and the history of the period is pretty remarkable though.
    From the FJ helmets he dug from a dump pit,through his deact MGs to everything he built or dug into his backyard,he has put an awful lot of enthusiasm into his interests.
    Hope that members who haven't already,check out his History Secrets Channel to get more background.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    You tell 'em Yoda!!!
    Hey Dan I gave away all my rubbish shells for free