Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Are your collections/items insured?

Article about: My OH (also on here) collects. His items are covered on our house insurance but under a general heading and they don't know the specifics. I think they should be made aware of higher value i

Default Are your collections/items insured?

My OH (also on here) collects. His items are covered on our house insurance but under a general heading and they don't know the specifics.

I think they should be made aware of higher value items just in case something happens.

Do you document everything you've got? He does but its a system only known to him lol. He has various items from SS soap, weapons, helmets, uniforms, medals, badges, lots of other stuff and an SS jacket. Its only the jacket that I know about but everything else just goes over my head.

I think he should set up some sort of database with different headings. uniforms, helmets, weapons etc etc

I was just wondering how you did it?

?

Default Re: Are your collections/items insured?

Household insurance may not cover the full value of the items, personally i would catalogue each item with photos, price them accordingly, and submit them to a seperate insurance policy, remember the replacement value could be greater than the actual item as the years go by, especially an SS jacket, these certainly dont decrease in price

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Household insurance may not cover the full value of the items, personally i would catalogue each item with photos, price them accordingly, and submit them to a seperate insurance policy, remember the replacement value could be greater than the actual item as the years go by, especially an SS jacket, these certainly dont decrease in price
    Ive always been told that the safest option is "if in doubt, specify the item, fully describe the item, (especially any specific identifying marks etc), photograph it and get an independant, dated, valuation if possible".
    Also, to keep said photographs, information in a separate location hidden AWAY from the original items.

Just my 2pennorth people.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I have collectors insurance by the name CIA here in the US. Well worth the money !

I document everything from the blade of a knife to the liner of a helmet. I also keep the descriptions in my safe.

I take pictures of almost every single item and keep record in safe places

best is always not to keep the documentation records at home at all (if the come and take it they look in a safe as well), i think the best is keep this docs in a bank safe

Make sure your safe is fire rated.
    Safe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take photos of everything you've got, particularly the more valuable stuff. If it gets stolen and ends up in a pawn shop, you have a slight chance of getting it back. As mentioned, don't keep photos in same place as collection. Insurance riders on these collections are suprisingly inexpensive. As I've said before, BE VERY CAREFULL WHO YOU SHOW YOUR COLLECTION TO! Everyone is proud of their collection, but know who you are allowing into your house to see the stuff. O.K., I'll cease with the drama. I've just seen bad, bad things happen. I like you guys and don't want bad things happening to any of you. I'm done, the sun is shining again!

Take care,
    Jay