Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Cheap Ebay repro?

Article about: I recently bought a cheap Aldi airbrush with compressor,and I thought I might try it on one of my existing ground-dug M42'S,which were etch-primed when I received them. Today I bought this h

?

Default Cheap Ebay repro?

I recently bought a cheap Aldi airbrush with compressor,and I thought I might try it on one of my existing ground-dug M42'S,which were etch-primed when I received them.
    Today I bought this helmet at very low cost on Ebay.
    It was listed as a reproduction.
    I am not sure about the vent shape,but I don't know how a replica shell would be matched to this liner and strap.
    The seller provided detailed dimensions which point to this being a 68 shell.
    I can only provide the Ebay photos for now.
    I am as excited as all of us are waiting for that Stahlhelm-in-a-box,even if this one turns out to be
    a practice shell for Autumn or Luftwaffe camos.
    If members can identify this as a definite repro shell,or if you are unsure,I welcome your comments and I will update you when I receive the M42,
    Worthless repro or otherwise.
    Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cheap Ebay repro?   Cheap Ebay repro?  

Cheap Ebay repro?   Cheap Ebay repro?  

Cheap Ebay repro?   Cheap Ebay repro?  

Cheap Ebay repro?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cheap Ebay repro?
    P
    Many

Hi Kateri,

Based on these images this is a repro.

The image showing the liner makes this quite apparent from the odd shape. Original examples will have an almost oval shaped appearance when looking at the liner and band from above. This looks almost like a circle. The drop from the front visor to rear skirt appears off too.

Good for practicing on though.

Andrew

Agree. From these images ( no markings inside to see) it appears repro inside & out. The vent holes make me think this
    D.

?

Thanks Andy,
    I'm still surprised by the combination of liner/strap with repro shell.
    I will enjoy playing around with this.
    Thank you for your help again.

?

Thanks Real Steel,
    Vents looked off to me,thanks for your help.

I didn’t want to comment on the vents based on the pics and because I’ve been wrong before on account of variations between different manufacturers.

?

Thanks Andy,
    When I receive this I will post here.
    It is the combination of liner/strap with advertised repro shell that intrigues me.

I would 95% agree with the others in this being a complete repro helmet, but something still sort of gives me hope.
    Because I have looked at the details of most repro helmets and they ususally don't get the air vents looking as properly made as these or the shape of the transition from the visor to the neck guard part of the shell.
    And also the tan paint showing through on one of the pictures also gives me some hope as the Czechs apparently refurbished some German helmets post war in a tan color, so maybe the slim chance exists.
    But we shall see, if it is a repro, from my experience it is the best made one proportions wise I have seen, usually they look quite poorly made.
    Those are just my thoughts from having handled quite a few restoration projects now
    You never know what you get until you have the item in hand.
    Luis

?

Thanks Luis,I should know in about a week.
    I agree about how obviously wrong most of the fake shells look.
    A Czech Tan would be nice but very unlikely as you say!
    I do have a messed with Green CKL in a similar lot number range to your current project,so Tan would be welcome.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cheap Ebay repro?   Cheap Ebay repro?